Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

18 Posts

January 18th, 2006 20:00

New to Dell--How do I open my laptop

I am new to Dell and to owning a laptop. I just received my Inspiron 9300 laptop today.  I cannot get the lid open--Please help me.  I have pushed the lever to the right but the lid will only open a little.  Please--I would appreciate any help I can get.
Thank,
Sue in Wyoming

11.9K Posts

January 18th, 2006 20:00

@wyosue wrote:
I am new to Dell and to owning a laptop. I just received my Inspiron 9300 laptop today.  I cannot get the lid open--Please help me.  I have pushed the lever to the right but the lid will only open a little.  Please--I would appreciate any help I can get.
Thank,
Sue in Wyoming

You slide the latch over and pull the lid up.

11.9K Posts

January 19th, 2006 00:00

@wyosue wrote:

Rick--I am trying to do that but the lid still will not open but just about an inch. Is there something they use to lock it for shipping?

Thanks,

Sue in Wyoming

Nope.

127 Posts

Hello Sue

If you are having to use alot of force to open the lid I would say there is something wrong with it. When you slide the latch to the right it should pop open alittle then lift up easily, push from the center of the lid to avoid twisting it. Only thing I would suggest is chatting with support, that way if it happens to snap or something atleast they know it wasn't your fault.

Hope that helps

18 Posts

Rick--I am trying to do that but the lid still will not open but just about an inch. Is there something they use to lock it for shipping?

Thanks,

Sue in Wyoming

18 Posts

Do you have any suggestions? 

Sue

18 Posts

January 19th, 2006 01:00

Thank you very much--I have tried to do the online chat--does not recognize my information, calling them on the phone--they are too busy--supposed to call back tomorrow. There is a lever on the bottom and I pushed it to the left--don't know if that had anything to do with it but I finally got it opened--Now what do I do???

Thanks,

Sue in Wyoming

127 Posts

Ummm...Sue, you are making this MUCH harder then it needs to be :)

Press the large silver button directly below the DELL logo on your screen. It should come on, and then you can enjoy that big beautiful 17" screen!

127 Posts

Darn, I was hoping for a post back saying "Ya, I got it on, and its gorgeous!" Oh well, maybe next time.

I would plug it in, yes. Although they usually come with alittle charge in the battery.

As far as the internet connection, fire it up and see what happens, you internal card should connect with your router.

18 Posts

I know I am making this more difficult than it should be--I assume it has to be plugged in right?  I also have a wireless router for my desktop and need to get my internet information loaded on to my laptop--Can you help with that? 
Thanks,
Sue

127 Posts

January 19th, 2006 02:00

No problem Sue, your welcome.

Since this is your first laptop, I can see that you are a bit timid with using it. My advice, don't be! There honestly isn't much you can do to it that can't be fixed, with the exception of dropping it of course. Also, you may or may not know that you should only use it on a hard flat surface with plenty of room for air to get to the vents and fans. I can't believe how many times I have seen on TV or ads where some one is using it on the bed or the carpeted floor, that is one sure fire way to screw it up.  Other then that, fire it up and use the heck out of it, especially during the first couple of weeks, when it is still within the return window. And, if you do mess something up, the one advantage of Dell is this forum, there is usually some one that can help you out.

Enjoy your new lappie!

18 Posts

January 19th, 2006 02:00

Thank you so much--I got up the nerve to plug it in and start it up.  I got as far as the internet--It is not recognizing my network card (I think that is what it is) and I don't know enough about it to set it up.  I will call my ISP tomorrow and have them walk me through it.  Thank you again.

Sue

1.4K Posts

January 19th, 2006 04:00

Sue, my hair caught fire when you mentioned sliding a black lever on the bottom of your 9300.  Click on your owner's manual here http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins9300/en/om/om_en.pdf
and familiarize yourself with the parts of your machine.  The display latch release is on the top of the LCD panel (see page 13, and use the magnifying glass icon to blow up the image if you need to) and then look at page 22 for the battery release lever located on the bottom.

You should also have an icon labeled Owner's Manual on your desktop.  Please read the whole thing and learn about your Inspiron.  Good luck with your new purchase.

18 Posts

January 19th, 2006 12:00

I guess that is the first question I should have asked--How do I get to the Owner's Manual--I tried  on the Dell website and it would not let me get anywhere and when I put my information in--I got a message that I did not exist. I guess maybe that was because I had not turned my computer on??? Anyway--I just saw what that black lever is for--I hope I didn't do anything to hurt my computer already. I don't know why I can't do anything the easy way. Thanks again and I hope your hair didn't burn too badly.

Sue

1.4K Posts

January 19th, 2006 13:00

It will take a few days for your system tag to show up in Dell's database.
No Events found!