Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

December 21st, 2005 13:00

New Motherboard BIOS Flash?

Hi. I'll be getting a new system board, and have heard that a bios flash may be necessary. Is that true? If so, why? For example, would the flash still be necessary if the board used had all the same hardware I have (40 gig dell HD then. my 40 gig dell HD now)?

If I do need to flash, how would I do this? Before, I simply downloaded the exe, executed, then rebooted after. Without flashing when necessary, would I be unable to get into windows to run the flash exe? If so, what should I do? I have no floppy on the book, only CD-RW.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

PS. Lot's of people seem to suffer this problem: power issues on inspirons. What's up Dell?

Message Edited by shenry1984 on 12-21-2005 09:32 AM

1.4K Posts

December 21st, 2005 16:00

One thing you need to do is flash the system tag onto the new motherboard.  If a tech brings the board, he/she should do this for you.  Make sure it happens.

If you get a board by courier, it might contain a BIOS upgrade utility disk.  you can use this to reflash the system tag into the BIOS.  One thing that a tagless system won't do is allow you to set a BIOS password.

4 Posts

December 22nd, 2005 14:00

Is that all? I should be able to log onto windows though, without flahing, though, shouldn't I?

1.4K Posts

December 22nd, 2005 15:00

Absolutely.  Your system will work fine, unless it has problems that would be addressed by a BIOS update.

For what it's worth, BIOS flashing is painless and pretty quick.

No Events found!