Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

J

137 Posts

January 21st, 2005 11:00

Most upgradeable laptop

My nephew in the Navy wants to get a laptop. However, a new one might not be affordable right now. Which notebook is the most upgradeable and cost effective in buying a used model?

152 Posts

January 21st, 2005 12:00

Try the Dell Outlet Store online for some good deals. I really like my new Inspiron 600m I purchased there. You can search by model no.

Bill

Inspiron 600m
Inspiron 8200
Inspiron 8100

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 21st, 2005 12:00

All notebooks are very limited in upgradeability.

If you decide to buy used,

-Make sure you can transfer ownership. Dell will not assist you without proof of ownership.

-Make sure there are no passwords on the system that you don't have.

-Get the OS CDs that came with the system.

Buying any notebook computer used without warranty is risky - mainboards, screens, etc. are expensive even for older models. It would probably be best to buy from a friend or colleague, or look at a refurbished current model from Dell.

NEVER buy any notebook computer new - without a three-year warranty at minimum.

49 Posts

January 21st, 2005 16:00

"NEVER buy any notebook computer new - without a three-year warranty at minimum."

That comment is very, very debatable.

I say to each his own on the warranty issue. I personally never get warranties on electronics. 1 year on the Dell notebooks is fine for many people. A lot of people don't even keep their notebook for three years much less need to warranty it for that long.

I agree though that buying a used notebook could turn into more problems than it is worth. Especially if you don't do the things that ejn said.

Dell also offers some good deals in the refurb section.

smack

224 Posts

January 21st, 2005 18:00

There's nothing wrong in buying a used laptop. It depends on who is selling it.  Dell got some good refurbished units but one can surely purchase a used unit elsewhere, like on auction from a highly rated seller, for instance.

If it's a late model, then you will probably get one with all the bells and whistles.  It really depends what you plan to use it for.  One of our students needed a laptop to run LINUX. We recommended an inexpensive used laptop about $450.  Another got a great deal on a Dell I600 laptop with Windows XP Pro for $900.  She planned to use it as a graphic station for college.

If you get it with Windows XP Pro, make sure it has at least 512MB RAM.  XP really uses a lot of RAM.

If you get Win 2000, 256MB RAM is okay. Windows 2000 O/S is really great for a laptop especially if you tight on money and plan to hookup a lot of different peripherals.

Note: If you plan for upgradeable laptops, get one with everything at the beginning.  You really can't do too much more than changing harddrives or memory.  The other stuff won't be cost effective. MP.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 22nd, 2005 09:00

Even if you don't plan to keep the notebook more than a year, get a 3-year warranty. You will very easily recoup the added cost when you sell the system.

I agree that extended warranties on many things are not a good proposition from an economic standpoint.

There ARE however, places where they make sense -- such as on expensive-to-repair plasma TVs. These will NOT have the same level of reliability as the old stand-by CRT did - they WILL need repair and it IS expensive.

Notebook computers overall are not that reliable, and many components are VERY expensive to replace - and 3-year warranties are very inexpensive when purchased up front.

If you take a 1-year warranty you could be faced with a repair of $700 or more, on a system that cost less than twice that - or with having to start over.

31 Posts

January 22nd, 2005 12:00

Warranty and upgrades contradict each other.

Upgrades that extend the useful life of a PC include items like the CPU and video card, both of which are upgradeable with modern laptops, and both will void your warranty if they are upgraded. If you plan on upgrading, don't waste money on extending the warranty.

A possible upgrade path example might be, purchase the i9200 with 1.6HGz, and do not spend the extra $400 to upgrade it to 2.1GHz. Then in a year, after prices drop and new models appear, the 2.1GHz chip may only cost $100, at which time you could upgrade, and add new life to a one year old laptop. By skipping the intial CPU upgrade cost, and the extended warranty cost, you just saved perhaps $600 - $700, which is more than enough to handle the majority of possible repairs that may occur outside warranty period.

Things that can not be easily upgraded should be bought during initial sale, and these include most important screen size and the overall weight of laptop, battery hours life, as well as motherboard or chipset used (which basically determines how upgradeable system will be). You will be stuck with these, so make sure they meet your needs.

Buying a used system is a great wat to save money, but just check out all you can about the model before purchasing, as there are many lemons or issues with some models/brands.

Message Edited by RobsTV on 01-22-2005 09:22 AM

370 Posts

January 23rd, 2005 06:00

ejn63

Agreed, at least a 3 year warranty with Complete Care.

You'll know why once it fails.  Don't make the the mistake.

2.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2005 11:00

A notebook can be upgraded within a range of compatible components. Screen size and native resolution are best determined by selection before purchase. Processor type/speed and RAM size/speed options are determined by the motherboard, but can be varied somewhat. CD/DVD and hard drives are essentially unlimited.

As noted in a post above, the selection should be determined by which applications are to be used. A two to four year old notebook will be fine for most applications, the Inspiron 8000/8100/8200 models are excellent choices, and some are available with XP. It's the heavy database, spreadsheet, graphics, gaming, and video editing applications that really require the power and speed of the newer high-end systems.

A used Inspiron 8000/8100/8200 may be available with a 15" screen in a variety of native resolutions, and some good video cards can be installed, but the 8000/8100 processors are limited to PIII, up to 1GHz more or less, and PC100/PC133 RAM. The Inspiron 8200 moved to a P4 processor, running from around 1.6 to 2.4 GHz, PC2100 DDR RAM at 266MHz, making for a more substantial step up in performance. All of these are good notebooks, and at 2-4 years old are greatly reduced on the used market. Corresponding models in the Latitude line are also available.

The more recent Inspiron 8600 offers a new look, a wider and shorter screen, more powerful video cards, a Mobile Pentium M processor running from over 1GHz to 2GHz, and PC2700 DDR SDRAM at 333MHz. Still in production, the price has slipped with the availability of the the XPS "ultimate gaming" notebook and the I9200 "multimedia powerhouse" from Dell. Look for I8600 bargains direct from Dell.

There are other models in Dell's line-up that merit consideration, but I haven't studied them.

The extended warranty isn't statistically valid, but there is some drawback to being a statistic.

GM
No Events found!