Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 1st, 2013 14:00

Monitor won't wake up after going in sleep mode

I have bought my Dell inspiron 15 only a week ago
and already I had to force the laptop to shutdown a number of times because of my problem

Whenever I leave my laptop for sometime and I come back to try and to use it it's a black screen that won't disappear not matter what I do. Except of course forcing it to shutdown by pulling the AC cord or holding the power button.

When I use the mouse or keyboard to try waking the computer up the screen flickers very slightly and immediately goes back to black. all my keyboard strokes or mouse clicks do is flickering the screen for a milli second and goes back to the black screen 

Why is this happening? Is something wrong with my laptop? 

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

Hi eb0y,

Try the following steps and see if it helps.

Drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adapter and the battery
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter
  • Try to restart the computer and check

I would suggest you to run the Dell Diagnostics to check the hardware functionality. Power off the computer -> restart the computer, press 'F12' key on the Dell logo -> Select ‘Diagnostics’ from the boot menu.

11 Posts

I put the the laptop and then tried waking it up and it worked just right

Is there away I can avoid this happening again tho?

11 Posts

I will try this right now

and get back to you when I'm able to tell if the problem has been resolved

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

August 1st, 2013 15:00

Hi eb0y,

That's good to know. Please observe the computer for a day or two. Let me know if you face the same issue again.

Glad to assist.

11 Posts

I ran the Diagnostics and everything seemed working properly. I didn't have the battery attached and it gave me an error that the battery isn't attached. Except from that everything else had a green tick that it's working.

Thank you for your help

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

Hi eb0y,

This may have happened due to the static electricity. Draining the residual power seems to have done the trick. I would suggest you to observe the for a day or two. I hope this should not persist again.

Still, I would suggest you to run the Diagnostics once.

No Events found!