Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 10th, 2012 12:00

Logitech M305 wireless mouse & Latitude E6500 laptop issue

Hello,

I've ran into a bizarre issue between my Logitech M305 wireless mouse and my Latitude E6500.

The mouse receiver is not being detected completely by the OS. I tried all USB ports on the laptop without success.

At first, the laptop was just using Windows built-in drivers.  So seeing the issue, I installed the latest SetPoint from Logitech.

That still did not solve the issue. I searched online and found a post in a different forum about the same issue.

As suggested by one of the replies, I downloaded/installed Dell's drivers for the TouchPad, but the issue still there.

By the way, before someone points to the Logitech hardware being defective, the mouse works great on every other laptop or desktop I connect it to: Latitude D620/D630/D830/E6510/E6520, Optiplex 755/790/980 and even on my home built desktop.

The E6500 with the issue is running Windows 7 Professional, 2GB RAM, 250GB hard drive, DVD reader/writer, all the latest security updates, all the latest drivers.

Thank you,

Hector

2.2K Posts

October 10th, 2012 12:00

Hi caffewmilk,

I certainly would be able to help you with the issue, please try the following steps:

1. Please try another USB device. In case it does not, refer the Dell Article 122448 on www.support.dell.com

2. Reinsert the batteries or install fresh batteries.

3. Please clean the bottom of the mouse.

4. Mouse should be used within 10 feet (3 meters) of the computer.

5. Reseat the receiver in the USB port.

6. Restart the computer.

7. Press the Connect button on the receiver and on the bottom of the mouse.  

8. Try another Bluetooth device to check if it works.

9. In case it does not, Uninstall and reinstall the Bluetooth drivers.

You can refer the Dell Article 277550 on www.support.dell.com

Please keep me posted with the results.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

8 Posts

October 10th, 2012 15:00

Yes, I should've mentioned that I tried fresh batteries.  Other USB devices work fine.  When I use the mouse, it's always very close to the laptop.  I've already tried with Windows built-in drivers and with Dell and Logitech drivers.

Just in case you missed it, the mouse works fine on other computers/laptops.

If I had another E6500 laptop, I would've love to test the mouse with it.  Again, D620/D630/D830/E6510/E6520 laptops the mouse works fine with them.  It's just this E6500 laptop.

Thanks.

2.2K Posts

October 11th, 2012 11:00

Hi,

It seems to be an issue with some incompatible driver/update  as the USB ports on the system are functioning properly with other USB devices and the wireless mouse is working fine on other system as well.

Would like to know if the wireless mouse has ever worked on this system?

In case it was working fine few days back, I would recommend you to do a System Restore and take the system to a prior date when it was working fine. At times it happens due to the updates not being properly installed on the system.

To perform System Restore click on the link below:
dell.to/JEe9aR

You can refer the Dell Article 266590 on www.support.dell.com

Would also suggest you to try to create a new user profile and check the functionality of the mouse.

To create the new user profile follow the steps below:

1. Click on Start > Control Panel > Users > Manage Other Accounts > Create a new User Account.

2. Once the User account is created, restart he computer to log on to the new user

3. Please check if the wireless mouse works there.

Please keep me posted.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

If you would like more information on this, I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

8 Posts

October 12th, 2012 21:00

I ran a little further with the system restore idea and instead I made a Ghost image of the whole hard drive.  Then I installed a fresh copy of Windows, plain vanilla and the receive still won't work.  I also booted into Linux from a USB key and no mouse either.

8 Posts

October 13th, 2012 09:00

I would like to take a moment to announce the demise of my wireless mouse.  It was a good mouse.  It ran on a Duracell battery from the time of purchase for 3 good years of service.  It will be missed.

Anyway, my mouse not working with the E6500 must've been signs that it was going to stop working.  While I was at work, I replaced the battery with another new battery(just in case), hooked up to my desktop, worked for a few seconds, then stopped.  Downloaded the connect util and it wouldn't find the receiver.  Plugged the receiver into my E6510 and E6520 with same issue.  Got home and plugged the receiver into my DIY-built computer...nothing!  

Thanks for sharing this troubleshooting experience with me.  Sorry that I clinged onto the idea it was just the E6500 that didn't like the mouse.  :-)

Hector

No Events found!