Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

December 19th, 2003 00:00

Latitude Charger

I have a Dell Latitude C600 and when I try to charge it, it doesn't charge at all. I recently had the motherboard replaced, it worked for a few days. It is acting up again. This time I am positive it is the charger because I plugged it in into a friend's Latitude C600 and experienced the same problem. Any ideas?

3.1K Posts

December 19th, 2003 13:00

MEarnhardtFan,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Since you already tried replacing the motherboard, the only component left would be the battery. Please remove the battery and visually check the connector in the bay and on the battery for damage.

Check the charge directly on the battery, using the button and lights on the back of the battery. The lights should come on and stay on for a few seconds. If the indicator shows no charge, there could be an issue with the AC adapter instead of the battery. If any of the lights flash, then it may be a problem with the battery. Please tell me what lights come on and whether or not they flash or come on for a few seconds. Then reinsert the battery, and make sure that the battery will fully seat in the bay. It should be flush with the case plastics.

Try another battery, if possible. Try the battery in another system of the same model, if possible.

The 4 cell batteries should last about an hour without heavy use of the processor. 8 cell batteries should last roughly double this.

Dell warrants batteries for one year after the original purchase date of the system. After this time period, you should contact our Spare Parts department to purchase a replacement. Spare Parts can be reached at 1-800-372-3355 Monday through Friday from 7 AM to 7 PM Central time.

You can also purchase spare parts and accessories through our website. Start at:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/dellitems.asp

Put in your Service Tag Number, or choose your system and you will be taken to a list of new and refurbished parts for your system.

This knowledge base article may provide additional information.

December 19th, 2003 14:00

The battery is relatively new as well. I had my friend charge my battery for me in his laptop in the second bay, so when I press the button right now, all five lights come on and stay on for a few seconds.  The battery fits in with the case as normal.  I can get a new AC adaptor for free through my school, but I was trying to avoid that if possible.
No Events found!