Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 28th, 2013 06:00

Laptop not turning on

Hello folks!

I have a dell latitude d 830 laptop that dont turns on at all on AC power, pressing the on/off button results in an instantaneous power led blink for a while then nothing happens. Pressing the on/off button for a long time results in a simultaneous blink of caps lock & other grouped leds only. Charger is working too,  Plz help me !

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

May 28th, 2013 06:00

Hi meyerklose,

The issue might be with the system board. You may try the following steps and see if it works.

Drain the residual power from the laptop:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer
  • Then remove the adapter and the battery
  • Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds
  • Reconnect the battery and the adapter
  • Try to restart the computer and check

If the above steps do not work, then check the following LED indicators.

If you simply turn on the computer, you might see the above indicators flashing in a sequence. Make a note of the sequence.

Awaiting your response.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

May 30th, 2013 12:00

Hi meyerklose,

Thank you for the update. Try re-seating the Memory modules and see if that makes any difference. Please refer to the Service Manual.
Please ensure to follow safety instructions mentioned in the manual.

Please reply with the findings.

5 Posts

May 28th, 2013 07:00

My laptop's battery is dead already !

5 Posts

May 28th, 2013 07:00

Thanks for reply !

I tried the first procedure but ended up watching the same instant blink of power led.

The 2nd procedure didn't result in any response but prior to the first procedure I pressed and held the power button for a long time, the three leds(as indicated in your relpy) simultaneously turned on and off and kept doing so for 3 or more times (they turned on for a longer duration) even when I took off my hand from power button. I dont see the same response anymore!

regards

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

May 28th, 2013 10:00

Hi meyerklose,

Thank you for the response. If the LED indicators flashed simultaneously, it indicates a possible motherboard failure and may require replacement.

Let me know if you system is in warranty; would be glad to assist.

5 Posts

May 29th, 2013 15:00

Thanks!

Today I turned on my laptop, it showed a different behavior than before, the power light & the three lights (aforementioned) turned on simultaneously and then only caps lock light (middle one)started blinking, after sometine all the lights turned off and nothing happend afterwards. Does that indicate the same problem pointed out before?

Regards

5 Posts

May 31st, 2013 01:00

Hi, The replacement of modules worked and now my laptop is running as same ad before.

Can you tell me the macimum mrmory size that Dell latitude D D830 supports? and What I can do to boost up the processing speed, specially during multi tasking? my laptop gets too slow when I open 3 or more prpgrams!

Thanks for your assistance, you have been kind !

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

May 31st, 2013 11:00

Hi meyerklose,

That’s an awesome news!! As expected, the modules were causing the trouble. Re-seating them seems to have resolved the issue.

Latitude D830 system supports 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. The maximum memory supported by this system is 4GB.

Unfortunately, Dell does not support overclocking. There are in-built features in the system BIOS of this system. The factory default setting is Enabled. If you ave changed the settings, please ensure that you change it Enabled.

• Restart the computer
  • Tap F2 key 4-5 times to enter BIOS 
  • Choose and expand Performance (use the arrow keys on the keyboard).
  • Choose SpeedStep
  • Ensure that it is set to Enabled.

Hope this information helps.

No Events found!