Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 31st, 2011 07:00

Laptop not staying active when lid is closed after changing power options for closing the lid

I am running Windows 7 with a a wireless keyboard, wireless mouse and an LCD monitor attached to laptop.  I changed the Power Options for "When I Close the Lid" to "Do Nothing".  I have the monitor set up so that only the LCD display is active.  However, every time I close the lid, the laptop goes into sleep mode.  Then when I open it, the display has gone back to having both the laptop and the LCD screen on?

How can I fix this so that I can close the laptop and without it going into sleep mode?

Thank you!

9 Posts

August 31st, 2011 07:00

I forgot to mention that it is a Dell Studio 15 Laptop, not sure if that matters.

3 Apprentice

• 

904 Posts

August 31st, 2011 12:00

Hi,

As per my knowledge when you close the lid the power options are only applicable to the system and not the display.

When the Display lid is closed by design the display turns off, this also includes any external monitors connected to the laptop.

9 Posts

August 31st, 2011 15:00

Thanks but the question is the fact that the laptop is going into sleep mode when I have the Power Options set to "Do Nothing"?  

3 Apprentice

• 

904 Posts

August 31st, 2011 15:00

So sory missed out that statement.

Which power plan do you have in place?

9 Posts

August 31st, 2011 16:00

How do you do that?

3 Apprentice

• 

904 Posts

Uninstall the ATI driver, restart the system and then try again with the default windows video driver.

9 Posts

Nope...didn't work.  This is very weird because according to everything I've found on the web, what I did is supposed to work but everytime I close the lid, it goes to sleep.

9 Posts

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500 Series

9 Posts

I have the "Dell Recommended Settings"

Turn off the Display           5 min (Battery)  /  30 min (Plugged In)

Put Computer to Sleep    30 min (Battery)  /  Never (Plugged In)  

Power Buttons:

Power Button                  Hibernate (Battery)    /  Hibernate (Plugged In)

Sleep Button                   Sleep  (Battery)         /   Sleep       (Plugged In)

When I close the Lid       Do Nothing (Battery) /  Do Nothing  (Plugged In)

3 Apprentice

• 

904 Posts

This sure is weird, which Video adapter do you have installed on the system ?

3 Apprentice

• 

904 Posts

Try changing it to 'High Performance', Restart the system make sure its still in high performance and then give it a try.

3 Apprentice

• 

904 Posts

September 1st, 2011 13:00

Go to Start> Control panel>Programs and features>Uninstall a program

Look for ATI Catalyst Control Center, right click and uninstall and then restart the system when prompted.

No Events found!