Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

May 29th, 2012 11:00

Laptop Unable to SHUT DOWN!!

Model : DELL Vostro V131
Here is my problem 

When i press shut down, the laptop will shut down as usual but at the end the processor and the lid is still on.. I tried shut down in safe mode but it get stuck at the shut down screen.

and 

When i put my laptop into sleep mode, no matter i press what button, it still wont awake..

May i know any solution to resolve this?

I cant send back to DELL Malaysia because currently i m in UK..

Any help and guidance r highly appreciated.. Thank you..

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

June 12th, 2012 02:00

Yeah that is looking like a hardware problem opposed to an OS issue. If you boot to a UBUNTU live CD does the same issue occur?

10 Posts

June 12th, 2012 03:00

i have no external dvd writer with me now, so cant do anything else except wait i back malaysia and buy it.. cause in UK is so freaking expensive.. >

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

June 12th, 2012 10:00

Don't need a DVD, make a bootable USB. Where are you in the UK?

10 Posts

June 12th, 2012 14:00

l3 6ls, liverpool..

how to make bootable usb?

June 13th, 2012 13:00

I've been suffering the same problem with Windows. I created an Ubuntu USB Flash drive via UNetbootin. I chose the boot option, "Try Ubuntu without installing." There were still problems with suspend and shut down using Ubuntu.

When I attempted to shut down, the system lagged: the word Ubuntu was on the screen and the dots indicating system processing stopped "moving." I let the system sit there for 3 minutes but there was no change. I used the power button to power down the system. I ran this test twice and got similar results both times.

When I tried suspend, the system also lagged. The screen remained backlit and the power and WiFi indicator lights remained lit. Again I waited for 3 minutes but the screen remained backlit. I used the power button to power down the system. I ran this test twice and got similar results both times.

After that I ran the Dell Diagnostics in thorough mode from the boot menu. I received an error from Memory Test XMATS32, Failure, Code 2000-0123 but every other test passed.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

June 13th, 2012 14:00

The Beep Codes and PSA Diagnostic Chart says the solution for this is to reseat your memory modules.

Please see your manual here for details. This may solve your issue.

10 Posts

June 13th, 2012 20:00

check diagnostic, but no error.. >

June 14th, 2012 14:00

I replaced the RAM. I ran the PSA diagnostic again. XMATS32 passed; all memory tests passed. The problem remains. =(

June 15th, 2012 15:00

I removed the hard drive and booted straight from the Ubuntu Linux USB Drive. The problem remained. I talked with Dell Technical Support. They suggested it was a software problem but when I explained that I had booted off USB Drive they said it was possibly a chipset problem. I'll be sending my Vostro V131 in for service and when I get the report back I will post more information here.

4 Posts

June 23rd, 2012 23:00

Further details: The machines does what appears to be a shutdown but the Power and Wireless lights, as well as the main power switch light are still burning.The only way to properly shut it down is to hold down the power button.

4 Posts

June 23rd, 2012 23:00

Hi All

I have the exact same problem with my Dell v131. I have tried updating all the latest Intel Chipset drivers as advised above. I have also tried a diagnostic startup and then tried to shutdown after then, no success. My BIOS is at the latest iteration, A04. The history of my machine is that it was going into sleep, hibernate and shutdown fine until a few days ago. I have trolled through my system, application and security logs and cannot find anything out of the ordinary.

I am running a 32bit variant of Windows 7.

Does anybody else have any further suggestions?

4 Posts

June 25th, 2012 03:00

Hi All

I have the exact same problem with my Dell v131. I have tried updating all the latest Intel Chipset drivers as advised above. I have also tried a diagnostic startup and then tried to shutdown after then, no success. My BIOS is at the latest iteration, A04. The history of my machine is that it was going into sleep, hibernate and shutdown fine until a few days ago. I have trolled through my system, application and security logs and cannot find anything out of the ordinary.

I am running a 32bit variant of Windows 7.

Does anybody else have any further suggestions?

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 25th, 2012 03:00

xnicholasf,

Start, all programs, accessories, system tools, right click on command prompt, left click run as administrator. Type...

sfc /scannow          (Space between the c and /)

Hit enter and allow it to run. On Windows 7 systems, I heard that if this is run 3 times, it replces any missing or corrupt Windows files. This may be needed to correct the problem.

You can also try...

Start, all programs, accessories, system tools, right click on command prompt, left click run as administrator. Type...

chkdsk /r          (space between the k and /)

Hit enter. Answer the question with a Y, then restrat your computer and allow it to run. Depending on the size of your hard drive, this could run for a while, so you may want to run this when the computer is not needed.

Rick

4 Posts

June 25th, 2012 08:00

Hi All,

I have the exact same problem with my Dell V131, 64bit variant of Windows.

I've updated all the latest drivers and all updates for Windows.

I've also tried reinstall Windows, but no success.

The diagnostics are completed (sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r) - no errors. And still have the same problem. All Dell's diagnostics successfully completed as well.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 25th, 2012 09:00

NatalyaL,

Try running the FULL Diagnostics and report back any error messages. How to Run the Dell™ Diagnostics Utility

Have you scanned for malware? Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware update it and do a quick scan. Post back the log if you find anything.

Rick

No Events found!