Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 1st, 2012 04:00

Keyboard return key issue

I would really appreciate some guidance on this issue please. For an unknown reason the return key has stopped returning and instead brings up this control instead every time now.  Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings It is stopping me from working and it is just such a frustration; I have tried everything that I know but cannot sort it. Would anyone care to give me my sanity back and fill me with joy once more. Cannot even use the return key here either. Thank you in anticipation Mikey_Mac 

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

August 29th, 2012 23:00

Hi  gracelinedesign,

Welcome to the Community,

Have you tried the steps given in my previous post?

If the issue persists even after reseating the keyboard and if the external USB keyboard works normally,than you need to replace your system keyboard.

Let me know if you have any question.

Thank You

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

October 2nd, 2012 06:00

Hi  AKautz,

I came across a user who suggested this issue was due the Windows Mobility Center running in the background.To fix this problem he has suggested to Press the Windows key (the one with the flag/window picture on it) + X, it should open up the Windows Mobility Center (otherwise just search for it in the Start menu,search box), then simply close it.

Please let me know if this helps.

Note:Other users on the thread could also try this fix and confirm if it works.

Thank You

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

August 1st, 2012 05:00

Hi Mikey_Mac,

Is the return key stuck? Try using a can of compressed air  to make sure nothing is stuck between the keys.

Are all the other keys working normally?

Your system model is it XPS L250X?

Thank You

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 00:00

Hi Roshan, that is not the cause of the problem this has become an intermittent issue now; sometimes the key works fine returning as normal but then it will revert without warning to bringing up the control panel. I do thank you for taking the time to suggest an answer though.

Mikey_Mac

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

August 3rd, 2012 04:00

Hi Mikey_Mac,

Try using an external USB keyboard and see how the return key works on it.If its a software/application  related issue than the return key on the external keyboard should do the same.

If the return key works normally on the external keyboard,than it could be a hardware/system keyboard issue.If this is the case than reseating the system keyboard may help.You can find the system owners manual on www.support.dell.com for steps to remove and reseat (that is disconnect and reconnect the keyboard connector cable) keyboard.

Thank You

August 29th, 2012 19:00

I am having the same annoying issue!  Really irritating when on Facebook, seeing as though pressing the enter button is the ONLY way you can comment on something.  Other things like Google and FireFox have a Go or Search button you can click on.  I can't even create a new paragraph here because the enter key keeps pulling up:  Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings

1 Message

September 29th, 2012 19:00

I have the same problem randomly occur on my Dell XPS L502X running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit -- i.e. pressing the Enter key brings up the Power Options window.

However, putting the computer to sleep and logging back in solved the problem for me this time. This is may be the fourth or fifth time this has happened over the past few months.

Perhaps a driver bug?

1 Message

December 15th, 2012 18:00

This totally works, thank you. Otherwise you can do a restore system to previous point but that is too tedius...

No Events found!