Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2013 15:00

Keyboard and mouse pad stopped working

Hello

My keyboard and mouse pad stopped working. I tried updating the drivers, install new drivers and at the end I uninstalled the driver.

Is there anyway to re-install these drivers?

Thanks,

Ronak

2.2K Posts

April 11th, 2013 15:00

Hi Ronak,

Please let me know the system model so that I can help you in a better way.

Meanwhile, please refer to the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/15JGSZ2

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

9 Posts

April 11th, 2013 16:00

Hi Manshu

Inspiron 1545,Windows 7.

Regards

Ronak

2.2K Posts

April 11th, 2013 17:00

Hi Ronak,

Please perform the steps mentioned on the link above and let me know if it helps.

Also, you may check if the keypad works outside operating system environment.

Turn on the system and tap F8 on the Dell Logo and boot to safe mode from advance boot options. Let me know if the keypad and touchpad works in safe mode.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

9 Posts

April 12th, 2013 03:00

Hi Manshu

I have tried using the keyboard and touch pad on setup page when you press F2 and it does work. However I am not at my computer at the moment so I can perform those steps you mentioned above.

2.2K Posts

April 12th, 2013 11:00

Hi Ronak,

If the keypad and touchpad are working in BIOS, it is an issue with the operating system.

Please try using the touchpad and keypad in safe mode. If the don't work, try connecting an external keyboard or mouse and check if they function.

I will wait for your response.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

9 Posts

April 12th, 2013 15:00

Hi Manshu

They are not working in safe mode. External wired mouse is working however external wireless keyboard and mouse are not working.

Regards

Ronak

9 Posts

April 14th, 2013 15:00

Hi Manshu

I tried using the link you gave me but I can't seem to get my way around it. Could you please give me more on this.

Thanks

Ronak

2.2K Posts

April 15th, 2013 16:00

Hi Ronak,

As you mentioned external mouse is working in safe mode, I would suggest you to perform system restore for the date the system was working properly.

Click the link for more information:

http://dell.to/VRG2ad

NOTE: System restore will remove the applications installed after the restore point however, it will not remove any data.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

9 Posts

April 19th, 2013 13:00

Hi Manshu

I have reinstalled Windows Vista 32bit.

I can't seem to upgrade tp Vista 64 bit.

Do you have a solution for that?

Thanks in advance.

Ronak

2.2K Posts

April 19th, 2013 14:00

Hi Ronak,

Please let me know the operating system mentioned on the disk you used to install the operating system from.

If the disk has only 32-bit mentioned on it, then the Windows cannot be upgraded to 64-bit using the same disk.

Also, are you using the disk that came with the system.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

2.2K Posts

April 19th, 2013 15:00

Hi Ronak,

Please let me know if you need any help.

You may refer to the link mentioned below for information on windows installation:

http://dell.to/Wj9o0m

NOTE: Windows installation will remove the files and applications installed on the system.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

9 Posts

April 19th, 2013 15:00

Manshu

It's a 32 bit Vista I installed. I am trying to Vista 64 bit from a different disk.

Thanks

Ronak

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 11th, 2013 14:00

Hi rondo1989,

If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows.

If you want to move from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or vice versa, you'll need to back up your files and then choose the Custom option during Windows Vista installation. Then, you'll need to restore your files and reinstall your programs. Please follow the steps mentioned to reinstall Windows vista 64 bit on the system.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).
  3. Insert 64 bit Operating system disc.
  4. At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight ‘CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive’.
  5. Please Press any key on the keyboard when “Press any key to boot from DVD or CD” option appears.
  6. Choose custom installation during the Windows installation and follow further steps.

Please let me know if this helps.

9 Posts

June 11th, 2013 14:00

Hi Manshu

I can't yet seem to get through the process.

I have currently Windows Vista 32 bit and I want to install Vista 64 bit. When I click on the CD drive to install it gives me an error "Setup can not run on this version of the OS. To install windows please try booting from the install media."

Please help me.

Thanks

9 Posts

June 11th, 2013 15:00

Hi Ravi

I did as you said and it didn't work. I pressed enter when CD/DVD... was highlighted and it took me to the log in. There was no option to boot.

Could you elaborate further.

Thanks

Ronak

No Events found!