Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2009 18:00

Keyboard Lock

My new Studio XPS laptop keyboard is locked.  The curser and mouse work, but the keyboard does not.  Can't find a scroll lock button.  Please advise.

1 Message

November 15th, 2009 13:00

Have a Dell Studio 17" xps laptop and the keyboard locked.  I have the touchpad turned off and am using an external mouse, which even though the keyboard was locked would work.  Called Dell Laptop Tech Support and after unsuccessfully trying the process of depressing the F8 key a half dozen times during startup was told that we would have to drain the static electricty that apparently builds and accumulates with the laptop.  Process to do this was:  1) disconnect A/C power supply, 2) remove battery, 3) press and hold the "power on" button for between 15 to 30 seconds, 4) re-install the battery, 5) re-start the laptop.   THIS WORKED. 

Once I was back in service the Laptop Tech asked if I would log into DellConnect so he could change some settings in my laptop to prevent this from happening again.  Tried multiple addresses for Dellconnect but couldn't log in so the Laptop Tech called the problem resolved, since the laptop was working, and ended the session.

Even though my laptop keyboard now works, I am concerned about a "fix" that should be made to the operating system to prevent this static electricity buildup, anyone have any thoughts?  

14.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2009 19:00

unplug the mouse. Boot into the bios and see if the keyboard will work there. If it will. exit the bios. As soon as you see the Dell splash screen start tapping the F8 key and boot inot safe mode. See if the keyboard will work in safe mode. If it will that means you have a driver conflict in normal mode.

If neither of thes options work, Contact Dell to get the system either

A. Onsite repair

B. Replace the system.

1 Message

December 6th, 2009 08:00

Have a Dell Studio 17" xps laptop and the keyboard locked.  I have the touchpad turned off and am using an external mouse, which even though the keyboard was locked would work.  Called Dell Laptop Tech Support and after unsuccessfully trying the process of depressing the F8 key a half dozen times during startup was told that we would have to drain the static electricty that apparently builds and accumulates with the laptop.  Process to do this was:  1) disconnect A/C power supply, 2) remove battery, 3) press and hold the "power on" button for between 15 to 30 seconds, 4) re-install the battery, 5) re-start the laptop.   THIS WORKED. 

Once I was back in service the Laptop Tech asked if I would log into DellConnect so he could change some settings in my laptop to prevent this from happening again.  Tried multiple addresses for Dellconnect but couldn't log in so the Laptop Tech called the problem resolved, since the laptop was working, and ended the session.

Even though my laptop keyboard now works, I am concerned about a "fix" that should be made to the operating system to prevent this static electricity buildup, anyone have any thoughts?  

Thank you ! This solution worked for me too !

I'd love to know what settings Dell would have liked to change to prevent it happening again ...

1 Message

July 29th, 2010 14:00

Thank you so much! I've got a Dell Studio 17 as well. My cat has a habit of falling asleep across the open laptop, centered about the hot spot to the right of the touchpad. A few nights ago, I'd had the foresight to lock the computer (Windows Key+L), before falling asleep. The next morning, the keyboard was unresponsive, so I unlocked the computer using the on-screen keyboard. By the time it was unlocked, the keyboard was operational again. This morning I woke up and discovered the keyboard was unresponsive again, but that it was not wearing off this time even through a reboot.  I was afraid my cat had broken it.  After quite a bit of searching, I happened across this post, tried the remedy, and it worked!

One thing that's a little unclear about the steps given is whether the laptop should be turned off prior to executing the steps. I presumed so, as otherwise the thing would probably power off abruptly. Putting the laptop into hibernation first was sufficient.

That is curious about the possibility of some settings tweaks that would help prevent the issue. I wonder what they would have been.

-- Sid

(This post mostly made in an effort to broaden the likelihood that this topic will be found by some other poor soul whose cat may have contributed to the static buildup.)

1 Message

October 4th, 2012 21:00

Thank you also!  My windows friend had the same problem so I Googled the problem and found your solution.  It worked!  I'm a Mac person.  Thanks again!!!!

1 Message

May 5th, 2014 13:00

This solution also worked for me. thanks! Its the most weirdest thing and i couldnt have figured this out myself w/o reading the post..

if you happen to know the setting, please publish this..

1 Message

March 19th, 2015 15:00

Well, it's now 2015...and this tip worked for me, too!  Whew

No Events found!