Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

37 Posts

December 19th, 2007 01:00

Inspiron to Onkyo Surround System

Good evening, I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 laptop and would like to connect it to, occasionally, a Onkyo 7.1 Home Theater System (HT-SR800). I would like to use this connection for watching movies, playing video games and listening to Rhapsody on my home surround setup. All devices (DVD, VCR, TV, etc.) go through this home system box. I don't know what/which wires/connections I need to pull this off. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Mark

37 Posts

December 22nd, 2007 02:00

BUMP

1.3K Posts

December 27th, 2007 10:00

mbrandau

Wired Connections:

You will need an S-Video patch cord to send video from the laptop rear connector to the Onkyo.

You will need a single pin pc stereo patch cord to send audio from your right side speaker/ headphone connection to the pc stereo input on the Onkyo.

The Onkyo HT-SR800 does have auxiliary HDMI ports but there are no patch cords to convert from DVI + PC audio to HDMI as of yet. You would only get the video portion if connected to the laptop DVI then to the Onkyo HDMI.

Wireless:

If you have a digital cable or satellite receiver with an Ethernet connection, you can connect your laptop to a home wireless network thusly sending the signal to your television receiver through the network connection. You will need to read the specifics for your home receiver.  The Onkyo HT-SR800 does not have an Ethernet connection.

MD

2.2K Posts

December 27th, 2007 13:00

mbrandau, check the audio/video output options in the E1705 manual here.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins9400/en/om/media.htm#wp1070626

Also refer to the HT-SR800 owner's manual for audio/video input options.
http://www.onkyousa.com/download/own_manuals.cfm?cat=Systems

For audio, the S/PDIF (coax) output from the notebook's S-Video adapter/dongle would be the best option if one of the two S/PDIF (coax) inputs on the HT-SR800 is available.

For video, component video, S-Video, or composite video options are available, in order of potential quality.

GM
No Events found!