Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

July 28th, 2004 00:00

How can one get a German internal keyboard in North America?

Hello,

I am a resident of Canada, and would like to order a Dell laptop, but require an internal German keyboard.  How can I order one?  Does Dell Deutschland ship to Canada?  Can I buy my Dell laptop here and just order the German keyboard as a replacement part?  They're easy to swap out.  I've done it many times with my other laptops.

Global_Eyes

3.1K Posts

July 28th, 2004 16:00

Global_Eyes,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

If Dell Germany is like Dell US, this subsidiary will only be able to ship within the borders of the country.  You might want to contact Dell Germany to verify this. 

2 Posts

September 7th, 2004 11:00

Hi,

I have the same problem and was wondering if you found a solution.

Thanks,

Ram

September 7th, 2004 12:00

Hello again Ramiza,

No, IBM didn't either but, as opposed to Dell, it was not a problem to find an authorized IBM service centre who would send me one as a replacement part.  In the end, I opted to purchase the keyboard as a replacement part directly from IBM Germany (not the authorized service centre) and have it sent to a friend in Germany, who then forwarded it on to me.  I only did it this way because it was a little be less expensive than having the service centre send it to me since there was no markup involved.

There is a list of authorized IBM retail outlets and authorized service centres on the German Web site, however ordering direct from IBM was also very easy.  I just had to send a fax with my signature.  The keyboard showed up COD at my friend's house a couple of days later (I couldn't purchase with a credit card without having a customer account).  I then just sent a wire transfer to my friend for the amount plus his postage.

I don't imagine that there's a lot of turnover for non-English keyboards in North America, but I've always thought that I'm surely not the only person who'd desire one and it might make a nice little eBay business.  The German keyboard is also quite good for writing French, since it has most of the required accents.  The French keyboard is _very_ weird!

Best,
Global_Eyes

Hello Ram,

I gave up on Dell and bought an IBM.

Best regards,

Global_Eyes

2 Posts

They sell a German keyboard in North America?
No Events found!