Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 13th, 2013 15:00

Haswell for XPS 12 Ultrabook?

I'm seriously considering purchasing the XPS 12 Ultrabook which currently shows availability with of up to i7, but it's only the 3rd generation Ivy Bridge CPU.  I"m hoping that now that the 4th Gen Haswell chips are out that Dell will put them in the XPS 12.

I need to run Nuance Dragon Premium, which I've experienced is an extremely hardware demanding app, and the MINIMUM system requirements include a 2.2 GHz Intel processor and 2 MB L2 cache. The currently available 3rd gen i7 chip will only do that speed when in turbo mode (more heat, more fan noise, more battery), and has only 512k of L2 cache.

So, I'm hoping if I can hold off for a little while they'll drop the Haswell chips in there, and that they'll have both a higher clock speed AND more L2 cache.

I did online chat with Dell today, and they said they would forward my question to their support group and get back to me.

Has anyone heard anything, (even rumors) and how soon? 

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

June 13th, 2013 16:00

Mindguy

Welcome to the community

Unfortunately, I don’t have any information when and if the XPS 12 will be available with Haswell processors.   What information that I have on the XPS 12 may be found on the following link.

Dell has starting offering Haswell processors with the Alienware systems so hopefully we will see Haswell powered XPS 12 notebooks soon.  I am sorry that I am unable to give you any more specific information.

TB

June 24th, 2013 19:00

Hey I am in the same boat getting a new laptop for Law school in the fall. Dell has announced that they are refreshing it and I think I saw a date somewhere like July 15th or so they should be in stores, heres a link showing the confirmed rumors, dell people and the guy below either have no clue or work for dell and want you to buy and a model that is about to be pushed aside, http://www.pcworld.com/article/2040697/dells-xps-12-hybrid-with-haswell-offers-50-percent-more-battery-life.html I have not been able to find any pictures of its thinness but its supposed to be slightly redesigned just in weight and thickness mostly.  just google xps 12 haswell, thats the name of the new processor, I don't feel as though you or I should need i7 to run dragon speech, cause I ran it perfectly fine on my old laptop, a 4 year old studio 15 running centrino, and my desktop which is dual core, all the new processors the i series, are quad core, the i5 and i7 is, i3 is dual. Being quad core gives them a huge performance boost over a dual, the 2.3 requirement is on dual proly so we shouldn't have a problem

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

July 1st, 2013 19:00

I did a chat with Dell yesterday, and they told me that they expected the new XPS 12 with the Haswell chip on their web site around "mid-July."  I'm not sure how much stock to put in this info...they did take my email address & said that they would contact me.  Maybe there is more updated info available now than when "Terry B" replied above?

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

July 6th, 2013 19:00

Dell's June 4th press release saying that the XPS 12 would be upgraded with the Haswell processor noted that this would occur "in the coming weeks."  Unfortunately, NO ONE at Dell seems to be willing to provide anything more specific than this.  As you can see from Terry B's response, he almost seems unaware of the June 4th press release!  Don't these people talk to each other?

7 Posts

July 9th, 2013 07:00

Well it looks like the wait will be soon over...

Dell's Japan web site is showing This morning the new Haswell XPS 12, Thanks to Google Translate I was able to find the following.....

i5 - 4200u with 4GB Ram and a HD4400 Video

i7 - 4500u with 8GB Ram and same HD4400 Video.

They appear to be quoting 8 hours 43 minuts run time.

Maximum HD is still a dissapointing 256 GB and no idea of shipping time but it IS on their web site.

Hope this helps.

GAD- Zooks !

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

July 9th, 2013 07:00

Nothing for the US though, as far as I can tell.  Has anyone found US-related info?

7 Posts

July 9th, 2013 08:00

Dell sales people are keeping silent on as to when the new XPS 12's will become available. Last week I was told within the next "Week or so", now I am being told "Check back August for our back to school promotions". Just not impressed that no one seems to know what is going on.

It would be nice to just have a clear and concise report a little higher in the food chain than the front line peeps, as the dates bantered about during the Taipei show have now slipped into the past.

Want one of the new boxes but if Dell cannot tell prospective customers what is going on then I may have to go with a Lenovo Helix or something similar to get the battery life and versatility I need.

2 Posts

July 9th, 2013 09:00

I'm glad that everyone is so interested in this and that I started this thread.  Repeated contacts with Dell have not gleaned me any answers from them either.

I regret being the one to point out the "elephant in the room", but I think that may be it's not that the Dell reps don't KNOW when it will arrive, it's that they've been instructed not to TELL.  Understandably, Dell wants to sell off their inventory of the XPS with the Ivy Bridge so they don't get stuck with them.  So, I'm thinking that the date that they release the Haswell chipped one will depend on when their inventory of the Ivy Bridge models is depleted.  I totally understand that from a business standpoint.  However, for what I need it for, and for future-proofing I'm going to hold out for the Haswell...or maybe just get a Lenovo Yoga instead.

I hope that Dell monitors this discussion to see that there are probably many more people that are holding off until the Haswell model comes out.  There's a pent up demand for it and they will probably sell many units...or people will just get tired of waiting and buy something else.

I find it confusing that Dell and Alienware have already released Haswell chipped desktop PC's, but not the Ultrabook.

1 Rookie

• 

24 Posts

July 9th, 2013 11:00

I agree that it's probably that the reps aren't telling rather than don't know, and I agree that it's a disgrace. :(

9 Posts

July 9th, 2013 11:00

No translation needed here:

www.dell.com/.../pd.aspx

To US Dell: Dell is based in the heartland of Amerka- TEXAS and can't even get prods out to US customers first. Come on.......what a freakin' joke, disgrace, and insult.

9 Posts

July 9th, 2013 12:00

FYI, I tried to buy it on the UK site just for shits and giggles and it didn't work :(

I know this is a total first world problem but man, it's so annoying......

7 Posts

So. in less than 12 hours. Japan and the U.K. get the drop and still I'm looking at a Gen 3 processor and last years tech. C'mon Dell... take the hit and at least give the people who are watching the hardware update like a hawk the drop on the hardware we want !

7 Posts

Agreed. Germany is also on the list ... but only shows an i7 system but

interestingly shows an option of a 512GB HD...

www.dell.com/.../fs

So it looks like we know the spec and possible option of a 512 GB SSD.  I know its still annoying that we cannot order here in the US, perhaps a web update will occur overnight. ?

Even India is listing the new XPS 12... GO FIGURE !

July 9th, 2013 20:00

Hey, I am curious what you all think, I am scared of the world release prices on the german site it has the cheaper one at 1499 euro which is like almost 2k american, any idea why its so high there? i was expecting it to replace the 1200 dollar price point or somewhere around that

1 Message

July 10th, 2013 07:00

Starting price is staying put according to the Engadget article.  The same article also had the release date right -July 9th to most regions, although they indicated shipments begin on that date.

No Events found!