Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 1st, 2012 10:00

Dell recovery partition not available

I purchased a dell Vostro 3550 laptop with 3 YEARS WARRANTY, after some time i lost some drivers so i tried to get them back but no success then i formatted the laptop and I tried many times to get dell recovery partition (its there but it is not appearing in the recovery options)

I reformatted the laptop using the windows 7 DVD that came with my laptop, then I started installing the drivers but it seems some of features and functions in the laptop are not working properly like (wireless, Audio, Video and mouse keypad) even the Bluetooth is giving error.

Please if anyone can help me in this issue it will be appreciated.

4 Posts

June 28th, 2012 04:00

Hi Again,

Sorry for late reply,

I did the steps you posted above as follows:

1- I inserted the Widows DVD OS then I pressed F8 then I selected the repair option.

2- I got the window says enter your Administrator username and password, then the restore window appeared.

3- I selected command prompt from the options and I started typing the following command:

d:\windows;d:\windows\system32

but I got this message: "'d:\windows' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."

Regarding the CD tools you mentioned above, I checked inside my recovery partition but I couldn't find it, but I found PCRESTORE file located directly on the the recovery partition directory (D) among with files and folders below

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 1st, 2012 10:00

There is an order that must be followed to properly reload the drivers:

support.dell.com/.../document

June 1st, 2012 18:00

Hi Shadi1983,

Welcome to the Community

Please make sure you have installed the required drivers for all the devices after windows 7 reinstallation (wireless, Audio, Video and mouse keypad).

Below is the link from where you can find the compatible drivers for your computer.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19

You check the missing drivers in device manager and install the required drivers from the link above.

Please reply for any further assistance.

Thank you

Aashish Sengar

Social outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

4 Posts

June 2nd, 2012 11:00

Dears DELL-Aashish S & ejn63,

Thank you for your reply,

First, I followed the order of installing the drivers and I installed all of them, but the issue is some of features of the components are not functioning properly.

Now I tried to get the system back as it came from factory by applying Dell factory image "Pressing F8 then select recovery option" but when I reached to recovery page I can't see "Dell recovery option"  and the recovery partition is there and I can see it in Disk Management.

My question is how to reach or bring this option "Dell recovery option" so I can return my system back to factory settings

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2012 12:00

You can still use the recovery partition but will need to boot to a Windows DVD to do it.  The instructions below work for both Windows VIsta and 7.

smsoftdev-solutions.blogspot.com/.../how-to-restore-dell-factory-image-when.html

June 2nd, 2012 18:00

You can try using the following steps when you are not able to restore computer from the recovery option :

How to run PC Restore on Dell systems preinstalled with Windows Vista  when the recovery is not working from F8 menu.

Note: This only work if the "Recovery" partition is not damaged (The recovery partition is shown as drive "D" with volume label "Recovery" in Windows Explorer).

1) Boot to WinRE using the Dell OEM DVD/CD (Windows OS disk)

2) Click on Command Prompt

3) Type path d:\windows;d:\windows\system32 and press key

4) Type d: and press key

5) Type cd tools and press key

6) Type PCRestore and press the key and Dell Factory Image Restore window will appear

7) Click on Next and Confirm Data Deletion dialog will appear

8) Place a check mark beside "Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition" for the final confirmation and click on Next when ready

Note: The restoration process takes approximately 10 to 15 minutes, the format bar will run back and forth

9) Click Finish to reboot system

Please let us know if these step works.

Regards,

Aashish Sengar

Social Outreach Professional

you can reach us at: http://en.community.dell.com/

4 Posts

June 6th, 2012 10:00

Thank you again dears,

Let me try the above steps and I'll let you know...

1 Message

July 6th, 2014 16:00

I restored the factory image that didn't show up thru f8 recovery options. Working on friends computer and online suggestions yielded no results. Here is what happened. I used Active Killdisk (nice program) to format C: on Dell Inspiron N5110 Win7 64bit Home Premium. Somehow, access to the Factory Image (that showed up on the operating system before hand as "Recovery" partition that you could only find thru administrative tools, disc management because no assigned drive letter) was not available thru the F8 recovery console. It WAS present but it wasn't being detected by the recovery software as option to restore from. Here is what fixed it before the Recovery CD's have even been shipped that I ordered from Dell (free if you request them for your service tag): With an empty laptop, no OS and a recovery image that was unavailable to me thru F8 recovery: I installed fresh copy of Win7 Pro 64bit (my copy) using the largest partition as destination. (had to enter my product key for installation only) Thru the install options, uncheck "Activate Windows Online". As this was my copy of windows and I figured I had 30 days to fix or wait for Dell Install cds. I let windows do some updating (your choice) and then installed this wonderful program (that is not even talked about in online forums, even Dell Tech) called "Dell Backup and Recovery" version 1.7.1.2. If its already on your computer and you are having the same problem restoring factory image, then just make sure it is updated and works and do the following. Open Dell Backup and Recovery version 1.7.1.2. When you do, left hand menus will give you the option to make a backup of the "factory image" (that even on my bare bone install with no other software besides what I'll call my donor OS was visible thru administration options, disc management) but would still show up in this program after not touching that Recovery partition installing the "donor OS" . I chose the usb option to save to, so have it already installed in usb port (16gb SanDisk, my factory image was 8. something gb so you'll need a 16 gb or higher flash drive). It took 30 min to copy the "invisible thru F8 recovery option" factory image. I then left the usb flash drive in and rebooted computer. It brought me to a fresher up to date recovery screen that gave me two options to use. Basically to continue the recovery process using the "hard drive-recommended" version, which is so TOTALLY useless if this is the problem you were having anyway, duh??? or to continue using the flash drive for recovery. I tried the first option only to have the same issue. I then tried the usb option and what do you know...?? The factory image was available to choose from because it was ON the flash drive and currently, looking at that laptop, is recovered, installed and ready for your user name choice, time zone..etc... Now, I had copied all personal files to my personal computer from laptop thru network before attempting the recovery. So using the "Dell usb flash drive recovery method", there are additional questions about saving personal files and folders thru the process. As I did, you will also have the option of just choosing to restore factory image without saving any files or folders and rebuilding partitions as they were setup from factory. As I am finishing this reply, I am double checking to make sure two things. The laptop has all partitions exactly as they were from Dell factory and that I can see the recovery partition again thru F8 recovery. From the restored Windows (did not have to re-enter Product key from laptop bottom), there are 4 partitions (described below) but none with recovery labels or image that I can see. And now from the F8 recovery, (without usb attached) the new Dell backup and recovery interface is there with fewer options. Repair or recover, and save personal files or not. I chose to not save personal files as this was a just recovered install from flash drive to see what happens. It went DIRECTLY to restoring without any other prompts or the usb flash drive I had used for first recovery. I guess that's nice because the older recovery console is not there but gave me no options to choose an image file. Guess it was copied from flash drive and put somewhere on the new partitions. I will now have to look for the Factory image, or not! I put the recovery flash drive in my personal computer and appears as if the flash drive is a dedicated Dell recovery image. I'm sure you can format as my 2nd restore going on laptop seems to be coming from somewhere, but I would suggest keeping flash drive in a dark place for when something really bad happens and the hard drive needs replacing (let's say with a screaming new SSD :) ). Dell Windows laptop new partitions are: 1) 94mb OEM Partition 2) 19.53gb partition using around 9 gb, no name (seems to be the recovery based on it's size, I will rename to Recovery 3) 100 gb called OS (C:) I always rename C: to the manufacturer of the hard drive, in the case it will be Seagate Momentus 4) the remainder of the 1tb at about 815gb called "Alchemy". I dunno yet, don't ask, it is completely empty but would make nice place for backup files if a future restore doesn't format that partition. Laptop seems to be working fine now and is updating Windows. I am then going to do a Windows disc image for restore after ALL the updates and put it in the "Alchemy" Partition after I shrink that one down and make a 50gb recovery called "Image". (Yes Linux users. It is so easy to do partitioning inside Windows without harming the OS or computer and is easy! I am currently experimenting with Linux Mint) This process restores your computer to a fully functional OS after a format with ALL THE UPDATES and all your programs will be there and still work. I am still learning about this but is built right into windows and doesn't need any discs from Microsoft or any manufacturer but you need to be familiar with partitioning, formatting and restoring systems. I also do not know if the new Dell Backup and Recovery software will look for any additional recovery images to give you a choice between the Dell image or the Microsoft image. I hope this helps someone. It is updated software from Dell that fixes what I have found to be an old pretty common problem. :)
No Events found!