Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 14th, 2012 08:00

Dell XPS 15 l502x - No shutdown/restart/hibernate/sleep....

I updated my dell laptop's BIOS from A05 to A10. After the successful update, if I turn off the laptop it does not shut down/hibernate/sleep instead the screen blacks out and the lights and fan are turned on. If I restart, it turns off after some time in an irregular way. Now if I want to re-flash the BIOS with the A05 update file, it cannot be done because I cannot restart the computer instead I have to turn it off using the power button and then turn on but the BIOS update needs to restart without turning off since the BIOS files are loaded onto the RAM. 

July 2nd, 2012 12:00

Hi Bhuvanesh K R,

Thank you for replying to the post, I am sorry for the delay. I have been looking all around like you to find a proper UEFI utility. Cant find anything that may work in our situation. I checked with my superiors if they could provide any input, and we can try a CMOS reset. What this means is that the motherboard will have button cell, and we can reset the bios by removing this cell and waiting for about 5 mins and putting it back in. Once again this is a risky procedure which has to be done with trained hands to avoid accidental damage to the motherboard. You can try this. If this does not work, my only other suggestion is to contact a local tech to get it fixed.

Thanks & Regards

Dell_MIithun_Kotian

Dell Social Media Responder

October 1st, 2012 20:00

Hi guys,

I tried resetting the CMOS and then everything was back to normal.....

August 1st, 2014 19:00

Just follow the instructions in Dell service manual or user guide. There will be step by step instruction for removing the palm rest. Just take out the CMOS cell and put it back again for resetting the BIOS. 

June 14th, 2012 17:00

Hi Bhuvanesh K R,

Welcome to the Dell Community.

In response to your issue, what you can try is releasing the flea power or the static charge from the computer. You can do this by unplugging the power adaptor and then removing the battery, after that press and hold the power button for about 15-20 seconds then let it go. Then put back the battery and power adaptor  in and switch on the computer and try shutting down or restarting the computer. If this does not work you can also try loading the default setting for the bios. You can do this by tapping on the F2 key on the keyboard as soon as you start the computer. You would get the system setup screen i.e. the BIOS setup screen.to set the defaults hit the F9 key as indicated in the screen and then hit F10 to save and exit. It will boot into windows.

Let me know if this helped you or if you have any more questions.

Thank you

Mithun Kotian

Certified Dell Community Professional

June 15th, 2012 00:00

I did as you instructed but the laptop is not even rebooting in BIOS Setup Utility...

June 15th, 2012 00:00

Should I reflash my BIOS from A10 to A05?

June 15th, 2012 02:00

Neither of these solutions worked.

June 15th, 2012 07:00

Hi Bhuvanesh K R,

Welcome to the Dell Community.

I am sorry to hear that the earlier suggestions did not work for you. Seems the problem might be more complicated than we though.In regards to flashing the BIOS again, unfortunately, you will not be able to flash it to an older version. You might get the message saying the you already have a newer version installed. You can try to enter the BIOS setup utiliy from another step. As soon as you start your computer when you see the DELL logo start tapping the F12 key. This will bring up the quick boot menu. then select system setup. Try this and let me know if you can enter the BIOS. If this does not work, please add me as a friend and send me a private message with your system service tag so i can further assist you.

Thank you

Mithun Kotian

June 15th, 2012 10:00

After trying all of the above solutions I was able to shut down my laptop doing this. I have multiple (family) users on this laptop, but I am the primary user. All software and driver updates were uploaded, while I was logged onto my PC. I logged off my PC, and logged on under one of the other user names. (The one selected has full restrictions, including no Internet access.) I was able to shut down the PC from the second user name. This worked twice. I booted up the PC this morning, logged on with my primary user name and was able to hibernate and shut down. I'm not sure why this works, but I'm guessing it is that some error existed under my user name. (Chkdsk revealed no such errors.)

If you don't have a second user set up on your PC, I suggest you set one up and try this method. Perhaps, Mithun can explain why this worked, as I am not a software expert.

June 18th, 2012 06:00

I have Bootable DOS USB key and bios1.wph file from A05 update. Please tell me a way to flash the bios either from DOS or within the windows (If it is from windows there should not be a capsule load process as I cannot restart). I need Phoenix UEFI shell flash utility as phlash16, phlash1617,phlash,phlash1614.exe wont work for my BIOS.

June 18th, 2012 09:00

Hi Bhuvanesh K R,

Thank you for replying to the post, as Sleepless on Maui suggested, the problem seems to be with windows. But since we re not sure of it, lets not do anything with the Bios for now. Lets try creating a new user account in windows and see if you are able to reboot and shutdown in that profile.If you are able to that means that the issue was with windows. And if it does not then we can move on to the Bios. Cause if there was a problem with Bios we have have problems like computer not booting at all, or certain devices not working or responding. But since you are not experiencing anything of that sort lets make sure windows is not a t fault.

Thank you

Mithun Kotian

June 18th, 2012 10:00

After changing to the default settings, When I press save changes and exit in BIOS UTILITY, at that time also it is not restarting.

It is not restarting or shutting down in different OSes like Windows 7, Ubuntu, Mac OS X, and even in BIOS Setup ( Pressing F2 key). It does not even restart while installing these operating systems. How can you think that there is a problem with user account in Windows???????

Hi Bhuvanesh K R,

Thank you for replying to the post, i want to know if you havve tried to flash the bios again. if not try Flashing the Bios to version A06 from the link below. let me know if if flashess successfully.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Thank you

Mithun Kotian

I tried resetting the BIOS settings to defaults, but it wont work either.

No Events found!