Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

D

22 Posts

December 3rd, 2006 23:00

Database of stolen laptops?

I have bought a laptop on ebay (Inspiron 1150 or 5100).  When I collect it I want to check that it is not stolen.  Is there a Dell database I can check with?  A police or insurance-company database? 
Are laptops routinely fitted with disabling devices that work as soon as the laptop goes online?  Do you have to restart the computer to get them to disable it? 
I'm trying to do what I can before handing over the cash, rather than find out when I get home?  Anything else I should do?

Thanks for any help.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 3rd, 2006 23:00

No, there's no such database.
Given the track records of those two models, if you can back out of the sale, do so - they're two of the least reliable models Dell has produced.

22 Posts

December 4th, 2006 00:00

Thanks for the info.

I didn't know that about reliability.  Anything in particular I should expect to fail?!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

The system boards are weak links on both models - they run very hot. The cost of a used, replacement board runs in the neighborhood of $400.

22 Posts

Is going to have a fairly easy life (word processing and internet, no 3D gaming).  Will that help keep things cool?  Would it help to open it up and blow out dust?

22 Posts

December 4th, 2006 01:00

Thanks for your help ejn63.

I am looking through the forums for mentions of these lappies right now.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 4th, 2006 01:00

Keeping it clean is a must, but you have no way to know how it was treated by its former owner.

The other thing to consider with any used notebook is the age of the battery - if the battery is original, you'll likely be replacing it soon - they last about 2 years before they wear out, and those models are at least 2 years old.
No Events found!