Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2015 03:00

Chromebook 11 - How do I change the factory default background wallpaper?

The second generation Chromebook's now seem to come with a yellow lizard background.

Whilst I can change the background via Chrome Management, this only works after the user has logged in.

Prior to this, the factory one will always appear before sign-in.

Has anyone found a way of changing this?

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

March 18th, 2015 09:00

Hey Icebun007,

Good question! Check out this post on chromestory.com. Dinsan Francis looks to have provided and answer:

Steps to Put Chrome OS Wallpaper on Login Screen

1. Open chrome://flags
  2. Enable the flag “Enable OOBE/sign in redesign
  3. Restart your Chromebook

13 Posts

March 19th, 2015 01:00

Hey Shawn,

Thanks for the response.

This post was dated 2012 and when I checked this option on the Chromebook, the flag is no longer present.

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

March 20th, 2015 14:00

Sorry to hear that Icebun007,

Could be a restriction in the newer OS i'm afraid. I'll see if i can get my hands on one of these systems to confirm.

Are you Logged in as the administrator on the system?

13 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 02:00

H Shawn,

Yes.

Once logged in, it is possible to change the default wallpaper to something else.

By default, your chosen wallpaper will remain visible in the following circumstances:-

1/ When you are logged in against an account

2/ When the device is logged in by a user but the screen is locked

3/ On boot up. The revised chosen wallpaper will appear albeit with a “Enter Password” prompt in front

To improve the level of security In a Corporate environment, we turn off the following option so users will have to sign in with their email address and password:-

Show usernames and photos on the sign-in screen ( Located in Settings--> Manage other users...)

When the device is then restarted, the following appears on the screen:-

1/ Chrome OS icon

2/ Factory set yellow lizard

3/ Full sign in screen (with lizard partially obscured)

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

March 25th, 2015 11:00

Thanks for the details!

I confirmed the same wallpaper restriction when changing those settings. This unfortunately seems to be a limitation of the profile.

Its possible you may be able to work around this though by using the Google admin console for Chrome. I would suggest contacting Google to see if this would be a viable option for you.

How to access support for Google Admin tools for Chromebook

http://www.dell.com/support/article/cd/en/cddhs1/HOW10639/en?c=cd&s=dhs&cs=cddhs1&l=en 

Additional Information.

Chrome device management allows administrators to manage their organization's Chrome devices from a single place. With Chrome device management, organizations can configure Chrome features for their users, set up Chrome device access to VPNs and WiFi networks, pre-install Chrome apps and extensions, and more.

Administrators can apply each setting to an organizational unit or the entire organization. Most settings provide the option of enforcing a particular configuration or letting the user choose. For example, administrators can specify a standard home page for their users or allow users to set their own home pages.

Chrome browser support. U.S. Toll Free: 1-877-355-5787

13 Posts

March 26th, 2015 05:00

Hi Shawn,

I have already opened a case with Google who have confirmed the issue is with the 3120 base image/profile that DELL created as factory. They has since forwarded a feature request.

To be honest, I am surprised no one else as raised this issue as the factory wallpaper is not really suitable in a Corporate environment.

By the way, Chrome management does not offer anything over and above and issue remains.

Glad you managed to re-create it in any case.

I have also opened a Dell support case and am waiting on 3rd line for a response.

1 Message

August 26th, 2015 13:00

Any updates to this?  I have 50 of these at a small Christian school and would like to put our logo on the login screen.

13 Posts

August 27th, 2015 00:00

No change.

Gave up with Dell support.

It is possible to put a background logo once the login is complete via Chrome management.

5 Posts

March 23rd, 2016 08:00

Did you every find a way to change this.

Our school division just received 400 of these units and were stuck with the lizard login picture :(

Once they are logged we have the background image changing.

13 Posts

March 24th, 2016 03:00

Nope.

Dell support did not grasp the situation.

Got Google support to put in a feature request as the non changeable splash screen was not very professional.

Recently ordered the Chromebook 13 which has a neutral background so I think it will only be a matter of time when they update the factory image.

Someone was quite clearly playing a joke when they burnt the master image. 

5 Posts

March 24th, 2016 10:00

Ya our Dell Chrombook 11 (education models) still have the lizard on them.    :emotion-3:

Hopefully one of these updates will change it around.

1 Message

August 2nd, 2016 13:00

I'm curious about your comment above where you said, "Once they are logged, we have the background image changing."  Does this mean that you were able to push out a custom corporate or school institution background which appeared on all Chromebooks automatically after they've logged in?  I know we can't get rid of the lizard, but if we could automatically require the devices to show the custom desktop background we wanted after login, that would be a half-victory at least.  If you can clarify, that would be helpful.  Thanks!

2 Posts

August 2nd, 2016 14:00

Yes you can change the Chromebook 'Users' background with the Google Admin portal > Device Management.

This will only update once the user logs into the device.

No Events found!