Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 8th, 2014 11:00

Cannot find wifi networks

I have Inspiron 3521 laptop with Windows 8 and Dell Wireless 1703 Card. After I start Windows it cannot find the wifi adapter and any wifi networks (including mine). If I reboot the Windows a few times it finds the adapter and connects to the wifi, however after 10-15 minutes Windows freezes and restarts. Is this a hardware or software problem? How could I sort this problem out?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

June 8th, 2014 11:00

If you have the Network Connection Troubleshooter use that to see what the problem is. Right click on the network icon on the lower right to access the Network and Sharing Center or Troubleshooter. Try using the Network Connection Wizard to set up a new network. 

June 8th, 2014 13:00

Hi Serega293,

Thanks for reaching out to us. This could be an issue with the wireless driver. Please uninstall the WIFI drivers by going to Windows 8 tiles menu > search and open device manager , drop down Network Adaptors and right click on the WIFI 1703 card and select uninstall (OK). 

Please click on the link http://dell.to/Qt3Q3Y and enter the system service tag in the empty field and click on SUBMIT. Then select Get Drivers and Downloads, select the correct Operating system, and then click on the drop down list to download and the 1703 WIFI card driver. Restart the PC and install the WIFI drivers, restart the PC again and check if the issue is resolved.

As you also mentioned that the system freezes and restarts; restart the PC and tap F12 key continuously at Dell logo and select the Dell Diagnostics option from the 1 time boot menu and hit Enter to start the scan. If there is any issue with your PC hardware you'll get an error, note down that error and share it with me. 

10 Posts

June 28th, 2014 11:00

Dear Nabeel,

Thank you for your reply. I downloaded and installed the new wireless driver as you suggested and the wifi adapter started working and connected successfully to my work wifi, however when I came home the adapter stopped working again, in fact later I found that my wifi adapter is not working only after attempting to connect to my home wifi network, while at work it works fine. Why is that?

I also have done the Dell Diagnostics from 1 time boot menu as you suggested. No error messages appeared (all the tests passed), however at the end of the test I looked at the configuration window and it was written "Wireless Switch = on; Wireless LAN = Not installed; Bluetooth = Installed; Wireless WAN = Not Installed". So does this actually mean the wifi adapter hardware problem?

Best regards,

Sergii

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

June 29th, 2014 11:00

Sergi,

Did you install/reinstalled the operating system? If yes, did you install the Dell System Software (if applicable) and the chipset drivers first? If not, the rest of the drivers will fail to install. How to Download and Install Drivers in the Correct Order

Start with the Dell System Software and the chipset drivers and follow the list.

Rick

1 Message

January 12th, 2015 21:00

I have the same problem. I had to get a dingle to access the internet so that I could download the drivers. However after a while the same problem has occurred. Not only does my computer keep disabling my wifi connection regularly, it has now also lost the adapter completely. This is so annoying and should not be happening. It worked fine up until about 8 months ago. 

T

1 Message

October 19th, 2015 17:00

How can I go online to download the driver if my laptop cannot detect any network to connect?

No Events found!