Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 26th, 2013 04:00

Cannot boot from USB stick (Hangs during Dell splash screen)

Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 11z laptop with W7 64-bit.

I created a bootable usb stick, then I changed the boot order in the BIOS. The usb stick boots perfectly fine on other laptops, but on my Dell laptop it simply hangs during the Dell splash screen (the one with the Dell logo).

It only freezes when the usb stick is inserted (When nothing is inserted, it boots to W7 as usual).

The BIOS is flashed to the latest version. I tried to play with various BIOS settings but with no success.

Does anyone have an idea?
A huge thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

September 26th, 2013 06:00

Hi CantBootFromUSBStick,

Try the following steps and see if it helps.

First of all, reset BIOS to default settings. Boot into BIOS, then

• Press ‘F9’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’
  • Press ‘F10’ key once, highlight ‘Yes’, press ‘Enter’
  • Restart the computer

Now, boot into BIOS again, move to Advanced tab, ensure that USB Emulation is Enabled.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 27th, 2013 01:00

Hello,

Unfortunately I don't have the USB stick at hand anymore, but I'm pretty sure I did try the steps you've mentioned, yet without success.

Anyway, if anyone happens to encounter the same problem as mine, what I ended up doing was booting from an SDHC card, worked like a charm.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

September 28th, 2013 02:00

Hi CantBootFromUSBStick,

Thank you sharing the information. Glad that you got it working. I am sure that this information will help the other users.

140 Posts

February 3rd, 2014 07:00

Old topic, but I had the same issue with my Inspiron 1137.  System hung at Dell splash screen when booting from USB, after modifying BIOS order etc. One day I decided to just let it sit; lo and behold, the dang thing started to install after about 40 minutes of the splash screen.  I have no idea what causes this delay on these Dell systems, but at least I (and you) figured out a workaround... just FYI in case anyone else is having this issue...

No Events found!