This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

N

5 Posts

March 21st, 2004 17:00

Can you repair a dead laptop battery?

Hi,

Just curious before I throw it away.

I know that the batteries have a very short life span and are expensive. i belive 400-500 recharges is max.

Is it possible to remanufacturer/repair or restore it in anyway, would it pay off if so?

Or oes it not have any value at all any longer?

(If it matters I got the P/N 1691 Dell, Latitude battery)  

This one does not accept any charge. The orange light to the right is on permanent when the battery is inside. If I press the test button on the back of battery, one LED flashes green 3 times, then off.

Message Edited by Nisse7 on 03-21-2004 01:08 PM

Message Edited by Nisse7 on 03-21-2004 01:43 PM

5 Posts

March 31st, 2004 03:00

Hmmm....from that page I found the following:

Discount Laptop Batteries: The "Refurbished" Laptop Battery Myth

Some laptop battery vendors offer refurbished discount laptop batteries for sale, claiming that most or all of the useful life of the laptop battery has been restored. Why would customers take the risk? Price. Refurbished items are generally cheap laptop batteries that are sold at a fraction of the cost of a new laptop battery

Unfortunately, their true worth is essentially zero. The reality is that refurbished, cheap laptop batteries don't exist. Though technically possible, the process of refurbishing a laptop battery costs more than manufacturing a new one. The internal impedance of each lithium ion cell in a laptop battery pack must be matched precisely, and there are only a few manufacturers (mostly in Japan) who have the technical expertise required. By the time a skilled technician disassembles, tests, and reassembles a laptop battery, the cost is prohibitive - and that's before the laptop battery is shipped across the Pacific and back.

3 Posts

I spoke to a dell rep and she indicated that you could return the battery for cost-free refurbishing, but it takes awhile. Or, you could donate the battery and be given credit for Dell merchandise. Or, you could purchase a new for for $100+.  I am trying to pursue the refurbishing, but there is no info on this forum or on Dell website. I may call again to find out how. If you do, please let me know. Thanks.

5 Posts

Oki, interesting though, will call them too. I'll let u know what I get from them as well.

Well, the hard drives are almost the only thing I got left;)

Small ones 6 Gig.

Found  a great website, explaining all about these batteries, tips and hints and a lot of facts.

http://www.laptopbattery.net/?CMP=KNC-inb5

Message Edited by Nisse7 on 03-30-2004 11:38 PM

3 Posts

From speaking to the Dell rep, I told her that I had a used system and she did not say that I needed to be under warranty. If I was under warranty, I assume a replacement would have been an option. The fact that they said I could donate it kind of suggests that they are trying to be environmentally concious, regardless if under warranty. Worth a try before spending the money. Hey- you are not selling any Lattitude hard drives are you??

5 Posts

Sounds interesting.

Will Dell do this on any battery or does it still need to be under warranty or a certain age etc?

My Latitude this past weekend, so I am selling it in parts. Alreay sold 4 parts for approx 200, wil get approx 350 for the bas latitude cpi-a that's 3 yrs old, not bad;)

There are refurbished ones on Ebay for approx $65 I believe. I sold one of mine for $58. 

thx

No Events found!