Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

5 Posts

January 18th, 2003 11:00

Bios and hard drive

Hello, I am looking into buying a new hard drive for my webpc (VB90N).  What is the largest size in GB the system can support?  I want to get at least 80gb with a drive that has ATA 100 with a rotation speed of 7200RPM and 2 meg cache memory.  This is the one that I am looking at:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=294555

Will I have to update the Bios on the system board to get this hard drive to work?  Also, I saw on one of the threads that we would have to put in a Dell hard drive if we upgrade.  But, my computer came with a Seagate hard drive.  So, is that can't be true, can it?  I don't have a credit card, so I would need to get my hard drive from some place where I can go into the store and pay cash.

Thanks in advance for your help.

4 Posts

January 18th, 2003 22:00

You may need to adjust your BIOS, but it will support an 80 gig drive. The BIOS should be set to automatic, and that should work fine. Most of the newer hard drives don't even need you to adjust jumpers any more. If there is a Best Buy nearby, they can do the installation for you. I strongly suggest upgrading to XP, and bumpin up your RAM as well (256MB or more). It will never be as fast as a P4, but it will surprize you how much better it performs.

January 22nd, 2003 17:00

Can I get a definitive answer on this?  Any moderators around?

Thanks for your import Barkleyfan, but I'm not sure if that is just a guess or if you know for sure (especially since you suggested XP which is known not to work well on webpc's). 

Will it support the use of that hard drive?  I can install it myself, I've already taken out and reattached the one I have in there now.  If I had to adjust my bios, how would I do that?

21 Posts

January 22nd, 2003 18:00

Hi

Searched past post for last 2 years and came up with this. I remember Dell tech saying that the bios you have is it.

Thankyou for choosing a Dell WebPC. The WebPC does not have any Flashupgrades. For additional information on your system, go to http://support.dell.com/us/en/home.asp?t=1

The above was posted by a Dell tech.

Don't know about the larger HD. I replaced mine with a 13Gig. I checked and the problem with WebPC and XP is the bios.Too bad as I really like XP on my Dimension.

Harry

January 23rd, 2003 19:00

Thanks Harry.  I've been there....it doesn't tell me what I need to know.  I need to know what is the maximum size hard drive the bios/mother board will support.  If I could find out the make and model of it, then I could probably take it from there.  I could go to the site of the manufacturer and look up the information.  Or, if someone here has upgraded their webpc hard drive to a much larger size could let me know if they had any problems.

21 Posts

January 23rd, 2003 20:00

Mine has an Intel Corp. board  BW810  AA747825-305

My WebPC

Blast

Pent 3 500

Has DVD-ROM SD-C2302

I would guess that all are the same.

Harry

21 Posts

January 23rd, 2003 20:00

Should have added. To find what board you have if unit is still working go to         Belarc.com and get an audit of it.  Free

Harry

January 24th, 2003 13:00

Wow, what a great resource!  Thank you so much Harry.  Now I can figure this out.  I have a techie that is trying to help me with this online, but we just needed to know the motherboard info.  Thanks again.

24 Posts

December 30th, 2003 21:00

My WebPC's m/b (for a 466 Celeron, modem only, VGA monitor connector only) has an DW-810 AA-747820 m/b according to SciSoft Sandra. As there appear to be a few unpopulated chip sites on the m/b, I'd guess that all of the WebPC m/b's are not identical.

110 Posts

January 22nd, 2004 02:00

That 80 gig will definitely work without any problems. I dropped an 80 gig maxtor into my web pc and there were no BIOS changes needed. I also upgraded to XP. The seceret of the XP install, GET RID of the Mini-PCI modem ONLY card and get a Mini-PCI  NIC/MODEM combo.

Here is Sandra cap

Message Edited by NT Loser on 01-21-2004 10:45 PM

June 22nd, 2004 13:00

NT Loser, thanks for the reply.  I didn't see it until just now.....I only come to these boards every once in a great while.  How do you change that modem card?

So, it will work with an 80 gig hard drive.  I guess I can borrow my sister's XP cd - I have been wanting to upgrade....nothing like using a 6 year old operating system.  ;)  How about the processor?  Can I upgrade to Pentium 4?  I work a lot with graphics programs for my art, and this computer just can't keep up with me sometimes.  I have to reboot often because things are going very slow or not working well.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure if it would be more cost effective to try to upgrade certain components or just get a new computer.

No Events found!