Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

JJ

4 Posts

November 10th, 2007 03:00

Battery status idle

Problem developed suddenly on Inspiron 8600. Battery stopped charging and is displaying status idle. Just received a new battery today with same results. The laptop can detect battery type but is not allowing charge. Tried neighbor's AC supply with same results. Battery works fine there too. Any leads.
Jac

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 10th, 2007 11:00

Two possibilities: the power jack has come loose from the mainboard, or the charging circuitry on the mainboard has failed. A repair of the jack runs about $150 through a shop that can do soldering; replacement boards run about $400.

4 Posts

November 10th, 2007 16:00

Thanks ejn63

The first option was checked by a computer repair facility and was ruled out. He also mentioned the other option you mentioned but he instantly ruled it out as very rare. What baffled me is that he also mentioned a windows XP installation problem. Is that viable ?

JJ

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 10th, 2007 17:00

If it's a Windows problem, power down. The system will then charge. If it won't charge when shut off, the problem has nothing to do with Windows.

I don't know if the shop did a proper check, but I'd have someone else evaluate the jack - if it seems solidly connected to the system board, then the charging circuitry on the board has failed. You're dealing with a 4-5 year old notebook with a hot-running P4 CPU, which has had hundreds of not thousands of power cycles - it would not be that uncommon to see parts start to fail after that period of even careful use.

5 Posts

November 11th, 2007 11:00

Just my 10pence (sorry 10 cents) worth. I am having the same problem with my Latitude C600 (P3M 1Ghz 512MB) Try reverting back to an old bios - it'll cost you nothing to try, I was at Rev A23 - batteries idle - no charging. Went back to A12 - all charging fine. I have since incrementally flashed up to A20 - the system says charging but no charging is taking place - battery remains on 38%. Gone back to Ver. A12 - both batteries charged to 100%!!!!!!! I have posted my problem in this forum, but so far, no explanation why this is happening. Regards John

4 Posts

November 11th, 2007 21:00

Thanks John and ejn63

John. I did read your post earlier and was inclined to try it except that flashing the BIOS or reverting to an earlier one seems to need both power inputs detected (ie AC supply + battery). I currently have one of two. I am trying to see if there is a way around this predicament.

JJ

February 26th, 2012 02:00

First I want to say that Dell is really <ADMIN NOTE: Profane word removed per TOU policy> for not admitting the problem is caused by its bios updates.

Would save everyone a headache.

This same issue happened to me on my dell xps m1530 after updating bios.

Here is the solution. buy an external battery charger. Charge your battery that way.

Put back into your laptop.

downgarde your bios.

You should be good to go.

If still isnt charging try hitting (fn) then f3, or f2.

if still not charging try removing everything including your battery, discharging your computer by holding the power button for 30 seconds then putting it back in.

IT IS NOT THE MOTHERBOARD OR THE LOOSE PIN OR A DEAD BATTERY. It is <ADMIN NOTE: Profane word removed per TOU policy> dell trying to sell you extra parts .

1 Message

May 19th, 2012 10:00

I am having the same issue for my Dell Studio 1569, however I cannot seem to find anywhere where they sell external battery chargers for this type of battery. Would you happen to know of any companies that do?

1 Message

June 11th, 2012 06:00

I have a Dell Precision M6500, and my battery had suddenly stopped working about a week back. However, the indicator lights shine normally, and windows even tells me that the battery is being charged - but the laptop just won't run off of battery power at all. When I checked BIOS, it said that the battery is 'Idle'. I doubt this is a battery problem, since it seems to be charging normally... from reading these posts, it seems like BIOS is the problem to me. Is that possible? Was there some kind of a faulty update?
No Events found!