Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 23rd, 2018 08:00

Inspiron G5 15 5587, TB16, attached to non-power port

I just bought a Inspiron G5 15 5587 laptop and the TB16 Thunderbolt dock.  When I plugged the TB16 into the Inspiron G5 15 5587 right side TB3/USB Type-C (USB 3.1 Gen 2/DP) port, I received a message that states, "You have attached a power adapter to a port that does not accept power.". I understand that my TB3/USB Type-C port is not a power port but wanted to make sure I can still use the docking station. I also receive the error on startup/restart and have to either click continue or bios. Is this an issue and do I need to stop using the docking station?

Thanks

June 29th, 2018 09:00

The 7577, G5, and G7 do not support Power Delivery and a few other features on Dell Thunderbolt docks. It is  safe to use the dock if you can live with the warnings and unsupported features.

Inspiron G5 15 5587 Setup and Specifications PDF

Capture1.JPG

1 Message

June 29th, 2018 07:00

I'm having the same issue. On the website it says that thunderbolt should allow charging on this laptop, so I'm not sure why it's not working. I also thought that they allowed for an external GPU as well...

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

June 29th, 2018 08:00

Yes it’s fine to use the dock without drawing power from it, but the TB16 can only supply up to 130W to the attached system, and even then only when the TB16 itself has a 240W adapter attached, so if your system requires more power than that, then you wouldn’t be able to use it to charge the system.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

June 29th, 2018 09:00

Looks like the G5 15 can come with either a 130W or 180W AC adapter, probably depending on the GPU you order. In that case, a spec that uses the 180W adapter would not be able to charge from the USB-C/TB3 connector, or if it could, the system would throttle its performance to try to make up for the power shortfall. A 130W spec version should be fine IF the system does in fact support charging over that connector (which I haven't confirmed) AND you’re using a TB16 with a 240W adapter, NOT the TB16 that comes with a 180W adapter. You could also use the WD15 with a 180W adapter, not the 130W version that’s also available. Third-party docks would not work for charging because even the 130W that Dell’s docks can provide (only to Dell systems) is greater than the official USB Power Delivery spec, which maxes out at 100W, so Dell is doing something proprietary here.

1 Message

September 15th, 2018 14:00

There should be a bios setting to circumvent this annoying error, or have it not display when you have the real power supply connected.

2 Posts

September 29th, 2018 01:00

Yeah is this for real? Every time I turn on my laptop it's going to give me this error if I have a thunderbolt chassis attached? I don't need to be shown this message every time especially since my laptop will be plugged in most of the time. **bleep**.

5 Posts

October 10th, 2018 19:00

I have the same issue with the G7.  Dell needs to release a BIOS update to allow this warning to be disabled.  Keeping it persistent is a huge issue, particularly when Windows updates often reboot a computer on their own schedule.

4 Posts

December 17th, 2018 08:00

I too receive this message each time I power on my G7.  Odd that it started to happen after a couple of days into using my CalDigit TS3 Plus.  Maybe something from SupportAssist was updated?  Agreed the message is annoying, and should have an option to disable future notifications.

1 Message

January 19th, 2019 10:00

When will Dell solve this problem? Not only that, the dock station is just a little functional on a laptop, so also brings difficulties to Your client. Please provide guidance on the timing of release BIOS updates for 5587. Thanks.

5 Posts

March 19th, 2019 11:00

Is there actually a way to get a Dell response on when this will be solved?  It's a simple BIOS update to permanently dismiss the warning, but hasn't happened even though there have been a handful of updates since the issue was first reported.

1 Message

June 18th, 2019 08:00

Is there a fix for bypassing this boot message?

2 Intern

• 

1.5K Posts

June 18th, 2019 20:00

I think you having an issue with your docking station or the cable, your TB 3 should be a power port that is part of the standard for TB. No them is you have a USB 3.1 type C that looks like a TB port that could be the problems unless it also has Display port feature. I think your documentation for the DS 16 will explain that a TB port is required. Not sure of the TB 3 standards. You can download your service manual for your model and Service Tag number in that you will see exactly what each port supports. I'm using the DS 15 on a USB 3.1 type C with Display port. It works wonderfully for me I don't use the Graphic ports but all the USB 3.1 and USB 2.0 port all work great and it charges my notebook at the same time. this is critical for me since I only have 2 ports 1 type 1 USB 3.1 and one Type C USB 3.1 and one HDMI port that's it.

2 Posts

September 20th, 2019 01:00

Your assumption is outright wrong. G5 15 does come with a Thunderbolt port, but with limited capabilities, such as inability to charge from the Thunderbolt dock. This is probably due to USB-C PD only supporting up to 100W power transfer whereas G5 requires 180W power supply. Anyway, this issue renders my laptop completely useless since I usually leave it unattended and access it over the internet via RDP. I'm very dissatisfied with this machine overall. Terrible thermal, disgusting keyboard, and now this issue. I've had good experience with older Dell laptops and that's why I chose this device despite the bad things I heard, but looks like Dell **bleep** up this time and those people were right.

10 Posts

September 26th, 2019 15:00

Hi,

Just wondering if you managed to find a solution for this annoying error, currently in the same boat as you and none of the recent bios updates fix this issue.

thanks.

October 4th, 2019 12:00

I share your frustration. I too RDP to it often, so the pause in rebooting is a major f-u to me. But, I've rethought things and when I leave it unattended, I don't have to have the docking station plugged in, so that removed a slight annoyance.

But geez, I'd like them to update the BIOS and help us out!

No Events found!