Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

January 22nd, 2018 04:00

Inspiron 15 3558 - slow, unresponsive & much more

Hi! I have bought my PC no more than year and a half ago and had to ask the technical assistence of Dell twice. Both times for the same reason. I use my computer daily for school, mostly writing reports & using internet for research, and for watching movies. I would love to use it for running school-related softwares, but apparently for this computer it is too much to handle. 

Before the first crash I had the basic softwares installed and used the ms office. However, as my pc started to be slow I have uploaded everything to my cloud, which was a lucky move, cause once I called the tech service they rebooted my pc. Afterwards I did not download any additional software, nor stored any data (docs, pics, music) on my pc, rather everything in the cloud. Still my pc was slow and reacting like it would be an old old machine. In august I had to call the tech service again. After a while of interchanging phone calls with the dell support they finally came and tested the pc. The technician was surprised how slow my pc was. He has changed the motherboard. For some time the pc ran ok (1 - 2 months) I did not install anything, just all the updates and rivers required for the pc to run, + Eset antivirus. After normal everyday use (writing reports using google drive and internet) my pc crashed 2 times in december (blue screen). Now, in January, after christmas vacations, I started to use the pc again as before. As I am writing this text, my pc does not follow and what I write appears with delay even with display freezing several times.

Another annoying characteristic is its crackling sound while listening to music or watching movies.

I am highly dissapointed by this product and makes me wanna just sell it and by a different brand. I have worked at dell, and used their computers. I have read about them and was really keen on buying one. But after this experience I would not even recommend it to anyone. I am tired of having a computer that cant even do the basic stuff without freezing or being slow. And I definitely dont want a product that I have to report its mulfunctions (which are always the same) every half a year.

1 Message

January 22nd, 2018 09:00

I am having the same problems with my Dell. Keyboard is sluggish and it is so slow that I can't stand using it anymore. I am going to buy a new one and it won't be Dell.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2018 19:00

Thank you for your message. We apologize for the inconvenience caused.

Please check in safe mode to see if the computer is still slow when using basic application.  Follow this link to know how to get into safe mode.

Disable startup items. From your desktop screen right click on the time – click on startup tab- disable all options including the anti-virus & restart the computer. Heck if the issue persists.

Run a custom test on the hard drive by following these steps & check if there is an error.

1) Press at the Dell Logo screen

2) At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Diagnostics, then press to begin ePSA.

3) Choose no for memory test and then choose system test

4) Now click on custom test and highlight hard drive and click run test

Please click on the message tab – click new message & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 5th, 2018 07:00

Hi prehbein

It's very unfortunate to know the computer is running slow and experiencing a problem with the AC adapter. You tried running Diagnostic as Dell-Screejith suggested in the above post ? Windows 10 is on system ? How old is the computer? You ever change out the hard drive or memory in the system? Is the AC adapter's charging port loose?

In the meantime, please check status of the AC adapter in the BIOS by following the steps below:

1.  Power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously until you see the BIOS setup.

2. In the BIOS setup, check under the Main tab or Battery Information for the AC adapter status.

The AC adapter should say it's type - example: 45W), if it says None or Unknown then most likely the adapter is faulty and need replacement. Note: Wiggle the Adapter's end while checking it in the BIOS 

2 Posts

This laptop is extremely disappointing. I believe I paid $500 for it a few years ago which isn't exactly a cheap laptop but hasn't performed well from the beginning. Like the countless # of other threads regarding this model, my wife's 3558 is experiencing the same issues. Just extremely laggy in all aspects. Tried a variety of steps without any improvement. To make things worse, the AC adapter (WHICH WAS SUPPLIED WITH THE LAPTOP), continually says that there an issue with the compatibility. Therefore, it cannot be used without it being plugged in. This issue is all over the internet as well but DELL won't do a thing about it.

This laptop was obviously released with issues that were not addressed and that is just unacceptable. I will never buy a DELL laptop again and will certainly let others know about my experience with this laptop.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

Please click on link below for additional information.

Troubleshoot AC Adapter Error Messages on Dell Laptop PC ...

April 5th, 2018 08:00

I had a Dell technician checking my laptop, first everything seemed ok. Then he tried starting the computer, made some test and was also really surprised by how slow my pc was running. He changed the motherboard completely. Even that did not change. It was running ok for a while, lets say a month or two. But it just cant handle more workload. Caution! I have not installed any software, nor have I used too many apps at the same time. Cause this pc just cant handle it. So I do not understand why do you suggest to make more test, when my computer was already checked by a Dell technician and the problems are always the same. I have error messages almost every second day.

I suggest no one ever buys this computer series. It is not worth your time you will spend on checking it with the dell technicians or talking here on this forums. Apparently no one as it was said by someone before will acknowledge that these pcs run bad.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

April 5th, 2018 08:00

Linda_nvsdv

Unfortunately you are still experiencing problems with your computer, however I was answering to prehbein post.

2 Posts

April 6th, 2018 06:00

Hi prehbein

It's very unfortunate to know the computer is running slow and experiencing a problem with the AC adapter. You tried running Diagnostic as Dell-Screejith suggested in the above post ? Yes, no issues

Windows 10 is on system ? yes

How old is the computer? 11/2016

You ever change out the hard drive or memory in the system? no

Is the AC adapter's charging port loose? no

In the meantime, please check status of the AC adapter in the BIOS by following the steps below:

1.  Power on system, quickly start tapping F2 key continuously until you see the BIOS setup.

2. In the BIOS setup, check under the Main tab or Battery Information for the AC adapter status.

The AC adapter should say it's type - example: 45W), if it says None or Unknown then most likely the adapter is faulty and need replacement. Note: Wiggle the Adapter's end while checking it in the BIOS 

Yes, it displays 45W

June 12th, 2018 18:00

This is the second Dell I've had that has slowed down and crapped out shortly after the service plan/warranty is up.

After waiting 30 minutes for the CPU to startup I'm now another 45 into support assist scanning for problems.

Why Dell?

Im bever buying another Dell again. This is ridiculous.

June 12th, 2018 22:00

I can completely relate to your frustration. I feel the same. However I really need to finish some work before I get rid of this computer. 

In the last two months my computer decides to not respond on almost daily basis. Even after giving it some 30 minutes to react I have to do hard restart all the time. AND I am not even using it as intense I was the previous computers I had. Most of the time is just internet browser and word. I dont even trust this computer to have documents saved on it. All my work I have on the cloud. And it is annoying considering it has it motherboard changed no longer than since august.

Very dissapointed.

1 Message

August 31st, 2018 05:00

I am curious to what came out of this diagnostic? Is your Dell working better? I have the same issues and it was a total waste of our money. PC barely ever used in 2 years due to performance issues. I'd like to see if I can get it fixed for my middle school son.

Please share any solutions!

Thanks.

September 3rd, 2018 04:00

It was working better for like 2 weeks, but then again it does not support multitasking apparently, cause if I have more internet windows open, and word document too, it is just slow as before. When doing diagnostics nothing is wrong apparently, but seriously I just use it for listening to music, or watching a movie (even though it has this crackling sound now and then). Because for real work it just makes my head ache.

So even if you repair it at some point it will become slow again, from my experience.

1 Message

January 31st, 2019 08:00

Please try this solution:
When turning on press F12 and get to BIOS Setup. Look for Intel Speed Step and turn it off.

293 Posts

January 31st, 2019 14:00

If you had updated your BIOS, that could be the culprit.  You might want to Google like, "Good to update Bios?" As an example.  

4 Posts

March 17th, 2019 08:00

I too am stunned by how bad this laptop is. From the ac adapter that came with the unit not working after three months, to the screen being so sensitive that any change in position would make it go blank, to the lousy touch pad, this has been the worst laptop I've ever purchased. I know it's inexpensive, but I can't believe how poorly designed and manufactured this laptop is. I had never purchased a Dell computer before, but this will be my last one. The biggest tell is that they didn't even design it to work with the ac adapter that came with the computer. How basic a failure is that? Can't even get the power system right. 

No Events found!