Start a Conversation

Unsolved

AA

1 Message

October 26th, 2018 09:00

How to use a SSD Hdd replacing the DVD drive?

Can I use a SSD Hdd replacing the DVD drive on my Delll Inspiron N5110 i5 as a boot drive? And What will be Caddy size according to fit in the dvd drive slot? Please help , I got a SSD 240GB but dont know where to fit it whether replacing the 500GB Hdd or the DVD Drive? I want to use both SSD as my boot drive and the 500GB HDD as Strorage device. Should I buy a caddy case for the ssd? and what will be size? I found the caddy for 12.7mm and 9.5mm. Really got confuse which one to buy..

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Just look for a caddy that specifically mentions compatibility with that system. The 12.7 and 9.5 mm sizes you refer to later are about the thickness of the drive, so the correct size would depend on the drive you want to install. Most SSDs are 7 mm, and most hard drives are either 7 mm or 9.5 mm. This caddy says it fits your system and supports drives from 7 mm up to 12.5 mm, so it should work with whatever you want to use: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DNT1PYO/

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

One additional note in addition to the post above. If you want to use two hard drives, you move your HDD into the caddy and then install the SSD inside your system where the HDD is right now.  I’ve read that some systems won’t boot from a hard drive installed in a caddy, and some systems also have slower SATA ports for the optical drive port that a caddy drive would use. A slower SATA port won’t slow down a hard drive, but it would slow down an SSD, so you want the SSD on the fastest possible connector, which will be the one inside your system.

10 Elder

• 

24K Posts

October 26th, 2018 10:00

This system won't boot from a hard drive or SSD installed in an optical bay caddy.  It will only boot from the internal hard drive (or if you replace that with an SSD).  Additionally, if you want full 6G performance, you will need to replace the hard drive (which on this model isn't easy - the drive is attached to the bottom of the mainboard, which needs to be completely removed from the system - meaning you need to remove the display, keyboard, palmrest and touchpad first -- it's a big job to change a drive  in the N5110.

November 6th, 2019 06:00

Your SSD WILL boot from a DVD drive if Legacy Boot is turned on.  You must turn off Secure Boot Mode and revert to Legacy, then the drive will show up in boot order and will be useable.  I researched for days to find this answer. Mine is now working and is super speedy fast as my boot drive.  I use my HDD for storage only now.  Here is where I found my answer. https://neosmart.net/wiki/disabling-secure-boot/

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

November 6th, 2019 11:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @ARetiredTeach 

Could you tell me where Secure Boot Mode is located in the BIOS???

Also I do not see anything referring to Legacy???

The only options I see are ATA and AHCI

Best regards,

U2

May 20th, 2020 22:00

The CD/DVD RW Drive dimensions in Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop are 128(W) x 12.7(H) x 126.1(D) mm.

The Model No. is DS-8ACSH.

More Info. can be found from this official link: http://www.liteonodd.com/datasheet/DS-8ACSH_Datasheet_EN.pdf

Many people were not sure about the right size of caddy for Dell N5110. Hope this helps.

The right caddy height is 12.7 mm.

No Events found!