Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 10th, 2019 04:00

How to Download and Setup Norton Security in my Dell Laptop?

I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop but currently, my Laptop is facing hanging issues because I have not installed any Antivirus software in my device. Regarding the same question, someone told me that you have to visit first norton.com/setup to download, install and activate Norton setup in your device then I have visited and created an account on Norton's website but I am unable to download the setup file. I think antivirus software is necessary to secure my device from viruses that's why I am trying to install Norton antivirus.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

May 10th, 2019 05:00

Hi Ashley_360,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies for the confusion over antivirus software.

Windows 10 comes with full Anti-Malware software which is Windows Defender and you don't need separate product. But for whatever reason, if you want to use third-party Anti-Malware products, you could do it and it will disable Windows Defender.

Here is a short video from the Norton website you may find helpful:

How to download & install your Norton product purchased from the Online Store

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

May 10th, 2019 06:00

You didn’t specify what version of Windows you’re using, but if it’s Windows 8 or newer, Windows Defender is anti-virus that’s built-in, and Defender these days compares very nicely against third-party solutions, even the paid ones. If you have Windows 7, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for free.

I personally do not recommend third-party anti-virus, especially on Windows 10, for reasons I wrote about in this thread: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron/Disadvantage-of-Removing-Antivirus-from-Laptop/td-p/7264019

If you think you already have issues, then you might want to try Windows Defender Offline, which allows you to create a bootable scanning tool that can check your system from outside Windows. That can be important for rootkits that can hide themselves from anything running within the OS they’ve infected.

May 10th, 2019 07:00

Thank you so much dell-Robert p for your best suggestions. I promised you I will be use only Windows Defender in Laptop.

May 10th, 2019 07:00

Thank you so much jphughan for your best advice. Well I am using Windows 10 in my Dell laptop.

No Events found!