Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 2nd, 2019 11:00

Inspiron G5-5090, CPU cooler?

Hi, 

Normally, I build my own PC but I decided to go with a pre-built with DELL because the deal was too good to pass up. It just arrived on my doorstep, (a new Inspiron G5-5090 desktop) and everything seems to be in order. The only thing I noticed is that the CPU cooler pictured on this non-Dell website is different than the one I got. 

Capture.JPG

I got a much cheaper one. I'm guessing this is normal but I just wanted to make sure since this is my first DELL. I assume the one pictured on the website is reserved for different CPU's. I have a i7-9700 (non-K) if that matters. 

Thanks,

8 Posts

January 26th, 2020 03:00

Hello David, I'd like to thank you first that you shared your experience here and also given your recommendations to replace the cooler.

Cooler Master Hyper H412R CPU have arrived:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076MQBZ2L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and as I wasn't confident enough to be performing it myself I had taken to an electronic repair store to do the cutting of the backplate. After the replacement it worked wonders. Before replacement:

Before.png

After replacement there is a significant reduction:

Capture2.PNG

(I keep the core, cache undervolted as it is stable and generates much less heat)

It also fitted great:

IMG_20200124_202055.png

The good thing is that the cooling is sideways towards the back of the case, which the hot airflow is further accelerated with the exhaust fan. It is almost fully silent during winter time.The electronic repair shop that did it was iElectron in Cork, Ireland. Thank you again and I hope it is useful for the other people as well.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 2nd, 2019 16:00

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/new-dell-g5-gaming-desktop/spd/g-series-5090-desktop

you could always add a fan splitter and use tie wraps to bolt a fan to the heatsink.

Doesnt look necessary imho.

15 Posts

December 31st, 2019 19:00

This just happened to me as well. The picture helped sell me on a package and I was super disappointed to see some other cheap cooler on the CPU. It explains why the temps on the CPU are so bad! 80c playing League of Legends? Really? I had to change the thing out as soon as I got the machine

The picture shows a better cooler and any IT or tech enthusiast will know right off the bat, that the i7-9700 chip runs hot as . I swear the pictures only purpose is to confuse people.

Change the heat-sink they give you, its garbage.

65 Posts

January 1st, 2020 09:00

What does the heatsink they give you look like?  Also, the stock fan is usually ok for non-K designated processors in fact, if you were to buy that same processor separately the box would probably have a similar fan.  That said, I watch videos from a computer guy and he said the stock fans that come with the i3 and i5 are perfect as long as you don't have a K processor and intend to overclock it.  

15 Posts

January 3rd, 2020 12:00

It looks like the older stock coolers for Intel chips.  Except, its even cheaper!  It's all aluminum and smaller.  Intel has gotten cheap, but at least they are still putting copper cores in their "cheap" factory coolers.

@gb755cs wrote:

What does the heatsink they give you look like?  Also, the stock fan is usually ok for non-K designated processors in fact, if you were to buy that same processor separately the box would probably have a similar fan.  That said, I watch videos from a computer guy and he said the stock fans that come with the i3 and i5 are perfect as long as you don't have a K processor and intend to overclock it.  

I'm sorry, this is not true.  it was for older chipsets, but the new 9th generation Intel - no way.

I have been a professional IT for over 15 years now and whoever says this, is being purposely being misleading, or is ignorant.  Either way - don't get advice from that source anymore.

These machines are solely marketed to take money from people, providing sub-optimal performance and Dell is banking on most people either not knowing anything, or not complaining in the first place.

The website advertises 9th gen CPUs and SHOWS pictures of either a custom, or some unknown to me brand, aggressive CPU cooler / heatsink.

People who know their stuff, see that cooler and think - "okay - dell recognizes that the 9th gen chips are extremely hot and are at least trying to minimize the risk of overheating."  Then you get the machine and see the joke of the cooler they put on there.  Factor in, the first game you play with this "Gaming" machine, will cause the temps to soar into the low 80s.  Which FYI - is to hot for just loading up a game.

I'm sure there are others out there like myself, who thought, "well, I guess I will just put an aftermarket cooler on it anyways".

Well, that is where you take the second shot in the pants....

The backplate / riser system they use for the cheap, inefficient cooler they put on there, is actually machined into the case!!!

That's right! MACHINED INTO THE CASE!!  Which means you can't use some other low profile aftermarket cooler because those all come with their own backplate that you can not use because the case / riser gets in the way.

Why did they do this?  So they can save time mass producing them and someone, most likely unskilled, could just mount the board to the case...  Sad day.

Your only other options then are to use a top mounting cooler, like the Coolmaster 212 EVO.  But you can't do that either, because the case is so small, those cooler types wont work.

Move the motherboard and internals to a new case?  That would be nice, if the motherboard did have a custom design, to specifically match the case.  Again, done for mass production by unskilled, cheaper labor.

So you are stuck with a machine that overheats and thermal throttles and you can't really do anything about it.  These things are destined to die and most will.  The failure rate will be through the roof.

If you stream - you are out of luck.  The combination of Streamlabs and any easy game to run, League of Legends, Fortnite, whatever - will cause the chip to instantly thermal throttle at about 100 Celsius!

Not to mention, the dinky 80mm fan they put on the cooler, can't effectively cool the chip and ramps up to speeds of 3k+ and sounds like a rocket jet, while not even remotely coming close to accomplishing it's task.

Normally, I build all my own computers.  I only buy one, when I am willing to save time by having one pre-built.  I expect a markup on those machines, vs just buying the parts and doing the work myself.  And I am okay with that, if I am trying to save my time and labor.

But Dell doesn't specify the CPU cooler anywhere on their product pages.  Not at all.  You get to see pictures, which enthusiasts like myself see and make a judgment call, since the actual cooler is not specified on the order page but the picture shows you what you would "expect" to see.

Even trying to render a record game play session for YouTube, will cause the CPU to spike to 100c.

All in all, the package would be a good value for the buck, if they didn't hose you on the cooler.  If they would have at least not made the backplate / risers for that junk cooler machined into the case, that would have been acceptable.  At least then, you could have swapped it out on your own for a much better unit.  But they didn't and all in all, this package is a shot in the pants.

The only real thing you can do, is either

A.) Use it till it dies - which it will and it will be short lived.

B.) Buy a new case, new motherboard, new power supply and put it all in a new setup and save these wonderful, albeit hot, chips from the bad ecosystem that Dell puts them in. 

65 Posts

January 4th, 2020 15:00

Do you know what processor socket they are using?  The 2011 socket motherboards have their own back plates and what about using a liquid cooling solution like the NZXT Kraken?  From what I saw those don't require a back plate unless you have an AMD processor

15 Posts

January 4th, 2020 20:00

It's the 9th gen 1151 socket.

AIO are out of the question.  Even if you get a single 120mm rad, it won't fit anywhere.  The rear case fan is a 80mm and I wanted to help the struggling CPU cooler by putting a 120mm in.

I couldn't do that either.

I have a solution but most buyers probably won't be able to do it.

I am going to take everything out of the case and cut the build in backplate / riser system right out.

Once I have it cut out, I will be able to use a Gemini cooler, which should be able to keep the chip around 60-70c under full load.

Once everything is put back together, you won't be able to tell but there will be no going back to factory after that, or returning it for that matter.

If it wasn't for the fact that my son really wants to keep it - in his mind, dad can fix any computer related problem - I would send this thing back in a heartbeat.

My comments on this thread are for possible googlers out there that might be thinking about this machine.

If I would have known this before buying, I would have opted for something else.  This is what happens when I am trying to save myself some work.  I should have just built him one for Christmas.

65 Posts

January 5th, 2020 13:00

If you wanted to save some work you could've gone for one of the big gaming computer companies like Falcon Northwest, MainGear, and so on but you would've paid through the nose for it and most of that would be on fancy case lights and fan controls.  The one upside would be that you could upgrade it at anytime.  

8 Posts

January 12th, 2020 16:00

Hello rodavid, can I ask you which cooler you bought ? Thank you very much

15 Posts

January 13th, 2020 13:00

I could have, but I wasn't looking for something that involved.  At that point, I would have just built it myself, it would have been cheaper.

I didn't need a closed loop, RGB or anything custom, so this looked like a good option.

However, there was a third option.  I took a Dremel and cut the custom backplate / riser out of the case and then I was able to put an aftermarket cooler in there.

3 Posts

January 13th, 2020 17:00

I have a recent i7 9700 5680.  My backplate was held in with extremely heavy duty doublesided tape.  I was able to get it off by patiently wiggling it till it came loose.  Have a good look with a torch and wiggle it.  If yours is same you will see it start to seperate.  I went with cooler master gemini cpu fan.  Doesnt trip fan failure error.  I also put 2 120mm  be quiet fans in the side that comes off.  Pc rarely goes past 70 in high useage

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 14th, 2020 07:00

The G5 series uses proprietary, power supply, motherboard mounting and the pinouts for USB and Audio and everything else is not documented.

These systems are best avoided as they use the same kind of nonsense that the Optiplex Models do.  

Cooler Master GeminII M4 - CPU Cooler with 4 Direct Contact Heat Pipes (RR-GMM4-16PK-R2)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0080ATR2Y/

https://www.dell.com/support/manuals/us/en/04/g-series-5090-desktop/g5-5090-setup-and-specifications/copyright?guid=guid-089ffa4b-3a62-4b51-bde1-309c58a451d9&lang=en-us

https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/g-series-5090-desktop_users-guide_en-us.pdf

15 Posts

January 14th, 2020 09:00

@Big spud can you post a picture of those 120mm fans?  I'm curious as to how you managed to mount two of them to the side panel.  There isn't enough space to mount one 120mm at the rear exhaust.

8 Posts

January 14th, 2020 10:00

@rodavid  and @Big spud thank you very very much for sharing what cooler you have used. I will also do the same and will post pictures for people who are willing to go through this

3 Posts

January 14th, 2020 14:00

Mine is the 5680 and has mesh panelling on the side.  Does your g5 have the same?

No Events found!