Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

6 Posts

November 21st, 2018 09:00

Alert sound every 5 minutes with no notification popup

I just recently set up my new computer and I have a notification sound that happens every 5 minutes with no notification alert.  I've looked in event viewer and do not see anything.  I have turned off the volume and the sound still comes through.  Nothing shows up on volume mixer if I have it open during that sound.  I have McAfee.  I'm at a loss as to what this sound could be.  I've tried troubleshooting.  It happens every 5 minutes on the dot.  I have unplugged the keyboard and mouse and it still comes through.  It sounds like it is coming through the monitor or the computer itself.  I have troubleshot it and nothing comes up. I have scanned for hardware changes and nothing comes up.

Dell Inspiron 3668 

November 21st, 2018 10:00

It does still make the noise in BIOS.  

Inspiron 3668

It is usually every 5 minutes on the dot but not a beep.  it is more of a chime, like the Windows User Account Control chime.   There are times when it does not make the sound.  I did a hardware diagnostic and everything passed.

I will do the F2 Bios test now.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

Thank you for your message. I will be glad to assist you with this.

What is the system model in question here? 

Do you hear a single beep every 5 minutes? Does this happen irrespective of the applications used?

Run a hardware diagnostic by following the video on this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB & check if there is an error.

Restart the computer & tap F2 to get into BIOS, stay in this screen for some time & check if the noise is heard.

For my reference, please click on the message tab next to your avatar– click “New Message” & search for my Dell username (Dell-Sreejith R) & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

Click here to find the service tag -  https://dell.to/2xXUCUW

November 21st, 2018 11:00

I have discovered the problem.  It happened to be a notification on another computer that the disk space was low.  the computer is close to the other computer so I thought it was coming from my computer.  This issue is solved.  Thank you for taking the time to help me.

At this time there is nothing external plugged in except the speakers, mouse and keyboard.  I do have an external hard drive and an Epson scanner that does get plugged in via usb at various times.

How does one set the BIOS to default?

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

This confirms that the noise is not from the OS & it is a hardware.

Please set BIOS to defaults & check if the issue persists.

Do you have any external devices connected, something like a dock?

Would you be able to record the noise & share the same?

Please private message me the service tag along with the registered name & email address.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

November 21st, 2018 12:00

:) It happens. Appreciate that you were able to figure it out. Feel free to reach out to us if you need any assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

1 Message

May 5th, 2021 18:00

Hi , I have the same error , I have recorded the notification sound , and it's so noisy .
I have an Alienware Area 51m

No Events found!