Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 12th, 2005 16:00

upgrade graphics card on dim 4600

I want to upgrade my pc to handle game play for World of Warcraft.  Currently having serious lag with my system.  I know I need more ram, want to add another 512; that part I can grasp.  My main area of confusion is re an upgrade of graphics card.  Below is the current sys info from Dell scan.  I need help with selecting a new card that will give me non-lagging game play and be compatable with this computer.  Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Computer Model        Dimension 4600i

BIOS Vendor   Dell Computer Corporation  BIOS Version       A07  BIOS Date          11-06-03

Windows Version       Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (with SP2)

Processor

Manufacturer    Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz

Clock Speed    2.6GHz

Memory

Virtual Memory            2047.8Mb

Memory Slot 1 [CHANNEL A DIMM 0]        128Mb

Memory Slot 2 [CHANNEL B DIMM 0]        128Mb

Network Card

Adapters          Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection - PacketSchedulerMiniport        

Storage

Drive    Type    Drive Size        

C:         NTFS  37.20Gb          

Hardware

Type    Description

DVD/CD-ROM Drives            SAMSUNG DVD-ROMSD-616E

SONY CD-RW  CRX216E

Disk Drives      WDC WD400BB-75DEA0 37.25Gb

Display Adapters       NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128Mb 

IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers   Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers

Primary IDE Channel

Secondary IDE Channel

Intel(R) 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers

Monitors          Plug and Play Monitor - (Plannar flat screen)

Sound Devices Logitech Microphone (Pro 4000)

Creative SB Live! Series (WDM)

USB Controllers           Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2

Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D4

Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7

Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller

33 Posts

March 12th, 2005 18:00

wowusa,

I too have a Dim 4600 and have upgraded my video card from the GeForce 5200 to the BFG 6800 OC.  See the link below:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-143-020&depa=0

Its a great card and the improvement in graphical performance is amazing (especially stepping up from a GeForce 5200).

I hope this helps.

PB

3 Posts

March 12th, 2005 22:00

Thanks PB....One more question.  Link you gave says, A 300W system power supply is highly recommended.  How do I find out what my power supply is currently?  Keeping in mind that I know just about nothing re the stuff inside, opening the box is not something I do. 

I am trying to figure out what all I need so I can price everything out.  If the cost isn't more than my budget I can then call someone who knows what they are doing and pay them to do the upgrades.

BTW, like your XPS Wannabe!  That is exactly what I'm trying to do.  My kids' computers are the ones I want to upgrade so they will stay off my husband's XPS.  They make him crazy wanting to play their games on his machine.  I can't really afford 2 more XPS, so I need to upgrade the 4600s to XPS Wannabes!

33 Posts

March 13th, 2005 01:00

wowusa,

True, the BFG 6800 OC requires a 300 watt PSU (power supply).  The Dim 4600 has a 250 watt PSU, but it has been discussed in the forums that Dell PSUs actually have higher capacities, with the 250 watt PSU outputting 305 watts.  So you should not have any problems with the stock PSU (which is what I'm currently using :)).

However, I do have a backup, just in case you really want to upgrade the PSU.  The following PSU has been used by other Dim 4600 users (Thanks Patchsassy!) so its guaranteed to work in your PC with no modifications.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-966&depa=0

Thats pretty much it, let me know how things turn out!  By the way, I'm glad you like my XPS Wannabe!  :)

PB

3 Posts

March 13th, 2005 02:00

Thank you so much.  I think we're on are way to 2 more XPS Wannabes and 2 boys who can play World of Warcraft on their own machines....yea!

• 

25.4K Posts

August 15th, 2021 19:00

Hi there, We want to make sure your system is working fine and hence following up. Having said that, we do not want to disturb you with numerous messages. We will wait to hear from you to continue the conversation.
No Events found!