Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 6th, 2009 19:00

multimedia audio controller

All I did was to replace a low, weak cmos battery and after rebooting the computer I get "new hardware found". I've tried to locate a fix for this and have had NO luck.....

Can anyone offer a solution?  Oem disks don't  seem to work...  Device manager says" hardware isn't configured properly... Big ole ? + unknown device...

Need AC97 codec or?

4.4K Posts

December 7th, 2009 09:00

I think that when you replaced the battery the BIOS settings went back to default settings.  which would have set the integrated audio chip to enabled. Hence the new hardware found.

If you have a separate Audio card, probably the integrated audio needs to be disabled in the BIOS.

3.4K Posts

December 6th, 2009 19:00

Reply removed by me. :emotion-15:

4.6K Posts

December 7th, 2009 06:00

Please tell us your system model number and the version of Windows you run.

They should be mentioned in the actual post - I know, but that information was included as 'Tags' :emotion-5:

Welcome to the forums Mike :emotion-21:

By "OEM discs" - I assume you mean the drivers discs you got from Dell?

Those will definitely contain audio drivers - assuming that's what the ? refers to?

But you can download the latest drivers for your system from the 'Drivers & Downloads page for your system.

Strangely - although it's specifically a Dimension XPS 600, it isn't listed under Desktops/ Dimension?

Oh no.  You have to select Desktops/XPS, where it's listed under just '600'. 

Dimension is subsequently mentioned in the system name, but why on earth they chose not to allow customers to get to the drivers page via Desktops/Dimension (/XPS) is beyond me!?

No wonder customers often have problems finding their respective drivers page :emotion-43:

Anyways...  you can download the Realtek AC97 drivers here.

Hopefully, those will cure the 'Multimedia Audio Controller' problem?

If not - you probably need to reinstall/update the chipset drivers?

December 7th, 2009 12:00

12/07/2009

02:15 PM  cst

JRosenfeld,

Thank you for your imput... It was right on target!!   Great info and really I should have thought of it!!

Anyway if you were near I would offer you a Beer or something.....  Thanks again..... Best of luck......  MRR  (mike Ross)

4.4K Posts

December 8th, 2009 04:00

You're welcome. Glad it was as simple as that.

No Events found!