Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2008 18:00

can't open a pps file.

Trying to opin a file /Type ppDS view file.

Will not open says this file does not have program associated with it to perform  this aciton. Create an association in folders option in control panel.. Cannot figure out how to do this; can anyone help me? I can open it in my yahoo mail but not in the outlook express.

Parman

418 Posts

November 9th, 2008 06:00

This article is a little different than your problem but it will be something to check even if you dont change anything.

http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/149/1/Unable-to-open-PPS-attachments-directly-from-Windows-Mail-in-Windows-Vista.html

799 Posts

November 9th, 2008 09:00

If you are trying to open a file xxxxxxx.pps, you will need to have Microsoft Powerpoint installed on your system. If you do not have Powerpoint installed, you can download the Powerpoint Viewer from Microsoft and install it. This is a free viewer, and you can view any Powerpoint files using it. The below link can get you there. "Trying to open a file /Type ppDS view file." The file extention ppDs does not look to be a valid Powerpoint file. Hope this helps

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=428D5727-43AB-4F24-90B7-A94784AF71A4&displaylang=en

258 Posts

November 9th, 2008 10:00

I downloaded the Power Point Viewer a while ago and it works fine.  

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

November 9th, 2008 14:00

Try this.

Right click on the .pps file.

Left click open with, choose program.

Now locate PowerPoint Viewer. Also check the box, alwas use the selected program to open these types of files.

Now what happens?

18 Posts

November 10th, 2008 17:00

Well, for some reason Outlook Express doesn't recognize that you have PowerPoint Viewer installed on your computer anymore. I haven't been able to open PPS files from Outlook Express for quite a while.. I assumed it was one of the security updates.  

I have to save the file to my hard drive and double click the file to open it. It opens, then, in MSPowerPoint Viewer properly. It's a work around.

........ Sunny

No Events found!