Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2012 16:00

atikmpag.sys & dxgkrnl.sys BSOD / error 116 (VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE)

Studio XPS 435MT Vista Home Premium / i7 processor / 6gb RAM / 2.67ghz / 360 W PSU

Radeon HD 4670 512mb

AVG free version / Heavy Adobe CS4 user (Photoshop) / Not a gamer or heavy video user

I have had multiple BSODs resulting from atikmpag.sys and dxgkrnl.sys errors.  I updated my BIOS driver to 1.1.4, which, as of now, is the latest available on Dell's website.  Here are my steps to date:

1. Debugged: found atikmpag.sys dxgkrnl.sys / bsod error x116 (VIDEO TDR FAILURE).  There has been one other bsod (page error).

2. Update Drivers:

(a) clean boot while updating ATI's driver (with and without Catalyst Control Center);

(b) updated BIOS to 1.1.4, and all other recommended updates on Dell;

(c) downloaded DriverMax to confirm latest drivers and performed recommended updates

3. GPU

(a) cleaned GPU (and all other internal components) with compressed air (removed fans to clean);

(b) left side panel off for several days to cool GPU: no improvement;

(c) tested GPU performance with CPU-Z: temperatures are fine

4. Tested memory

(a) memtest86: no errors found in 21 passes (around 26 hours);

(b) remove memory sticks one by one: blue screen on each stick / mobo slot

5. Ran internal Dell diagnostic utility: no errors found

6. Ran antivirus / anti-malware applications: nothing bad located

7. Replaced memory to 16g Crucial sticks (4x4).

This happened suddenly after three years of ownership without any issues.  Dust buildup was considerable, but very clean now.  I've read in forums that this problem persists even after OS reinstallations, GPU / PSU / MOBO / Memory replacement, and even switching to an Nvidia GPU—I'm not too motivated to take those steps if this is a problem that needs to be addressed by Dell or ATI. 

Please help.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 22nd, 2012 17:00

STOP: 0X00000116 (0XFFFFFA8006B77230.0XFFFFF880046C6814.0X0000000000000000.0X0000000000000002)

ATIKMDAG.SYS - Address FFFFF880046C6814 base at FFFFF880046B4000. DateStamp 4a4405b3

Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failure.

"Your stop-0x116 is not a true crash, in the sense that the bluescreen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

You did not say which version of Directx patch you installed BEFORE installing the ATI Drivers.

I recommend June 2010 Patch.  APPLIES TO ALL WINDOWS XP/VISTA/7   32 or 64 bit.

Download: DirectX Redist (June 2010) - Microsoft Download Center ...

www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109
CS4 eats your gpu Just as much as Games Do.
At some levels OVERHEATING can lead to PERMANENT GPU damage.
ATI Catalyst Drivers -  use the Catalyst drivers
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: 

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any Windows updates you might need. 

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000116

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete.

Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further
assistance.

6 Posts

August 23rd, 2012 09:00

I haven't tried the DirectX update yet.  I'll try that tonight, but I'm not too hopeful—I've seen the DirectX suggestion on related posts, which doesn't seem to solve the issue.  It is one of around ten hoops that people with this issue must jump through to eliminate possible causes, but I have not yet found a single post online wherein someone with this problem has reported it solved without taking the step of replacing the video card (and even that doesn't always solve the problem).

I will update DirectX if I don't already have that version.  Thank you for the prompt response.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 23rd, 2012 10:00

XP only goes to Directx 8/9.SP3 includes DX9.0C  Vista Goes to Directx 10/11,  as does WIN7.  But before the patch the DX9 and DX10 Components are NOT INSTALLED in windows.  The 4670 card DOES NOT SUPPORT DX11.  Once you extract the package for June 2010 you will see Directx 9 and Directx 10 specific cab files.  You will also notice that when you run windows experience test that it shows DIRECTX 9 Rendering test and perhaps DirectX 10 rendering test whereas it did not before.   The June 2010 patch applies to XP/VISTA/WIN7 32 or 64 bit.  The ATI Drivers should match the 32 or 64 bit version of your OS.

ATI Radeon™ HD 4600 Series GPU Specifications 

• 514 million transistors on 55nm fabrication process
  • PCI Express 2.0 x16 bus interface
  • GDDR3/DDR3/DDR2 memory interface (depending on model)
  • Microsoft® DirectX® 10.1 support
    • Shader Model 4.1
    • 32-bit floating point texture filtering
    • Indexed cube map arrays
    • Independent blend modes per render target
    • Pixel coverage sample masking
    • Read/write multi-sample surfaces with shaders
    • Gather4 texture fetching
  • Unified Superscalar Shader Architecture
    • 320 stream processing units

Personally speaking I recommend upgrading to the Radeon HD 6670 GDDR5 series of cards. There are cheaper GDDR3 versions but they are no where as good as the GDDR5 versions.

AMD Radeon™ HD 6670 GPU Feature Summary

• 800 MHz engine clock
  • 512MB-1GB GDDR5 memory
  • 1000 MHz memory clock (4.0 Gbps GDDR5)
  • 64 GB/s memory bandwidth
  • 768 GFLOPS Single Precision compute power
  • TeraScale 2 Unified Processing Architecture
    • 480 Stream Processing Units
    • 24 Texture Units
    • 32 Z/Stencil ROP Units
    • 8 Color ROP Units
  • 128-bit GDDR5 memory interface
  • PCI Express 2.1 x16 bus interface
  • DirectX® 11 support
      • Shader Model 5.0
      • DirectCompute 11

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 31st, 2013 02:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                  

No Events found!