Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

I

May 11th, 2014 14:00

XPS 8700, Ext. USB 2.0 drive and USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports

New 8700, had 2 USB 2.0 ports on top and 2 USB 3.0 on the front. I have a router that has an External USB 2.0 drive attached to it. I share files with other devices off of the routers media server using this drive. Occasionally I'll take it to my PC to CHKDSK the drive to made sure it is OK.

Today was the first time I took the drive to this PC. I keep my digital camera cable on the 2nd USB 2.0 port, the one to the right of the first USB 2.0 port on the top which is the Charging port (that gave my iPad problems). When I took the Ext. drive to the PC I used one of the USB 3.0 ports. Drive was recognized and I ran CHKDSK on it OK. No disk problems CHKDSK reported to me. I then opened SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE and discovered there was NO disk in the list? Odd? I just unplugged the drive.

Took the drive to the router and plugged it into its USB 2.0 port. It didn't see the drive? Tried the routers USB 3.0 port, no drive available? Huh?

Took the drive back to the PC and plugged it into the Charging port. Drive was recognized and opened. Saw a FOUND000.CHK file, but I never saw anything that said the disk needed repair or any other error? Deleted that file. Then looked in SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE and the DRIVE was listed there. Closed it and removed it and took it to the router. Router saw it and I was able to see the drive and content on the network. How odd?

Is it 'normal' for a USB 2.0 device plugged into a USB 3.0 port  and not appear in SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE? I just tried the same with a USB 2.0 Thumb drive with the same results. Is this 'normal' or do I have a USB problem?

190 Posts

May 12th, 2014 08:00

I got a USB 3.0 Ext. drive and put it into the USB 3.0 front port. SAFELY REMOVE HARDWARE sees it can I can stop the drive. It is a seagate 2TB though and there are files on it, however they will not run?

=========

J:\>dir
 Volume in drive J is Seagate Expansion Drive
 Volume Serial Number is 9E51-5E58

Directory of J:\

02/23/12  09:07 PM               182 Autorun.inf
11/01/13  01:58 AM   

Seagate
03/05/12  06:44 PM         1,644,118 SeagateExpansion.ico
01/16/09  07:14 PM           156,312 Setup.exe
               3 File(s)      1,800,612 bytes
               1 Dir(s)  2,000,136,708,096 bytes free

=============

Strange?

190 Posts

May 12th, 2014 16:00

Hi IrvSp,

You should update the chipset and usb 3.0 drivers, here are the links for the downloads from the Intel website:

Chipset: http://intel.ly/1lpTRHS

USB: http://intel.ly/1g2o5kR

Test the system after that and post back with the results please.

I must say I am a little surprised by this answer? This is a NEW 8700, first turned on on 4/30. From file dates and log entries it appears it was created (disk at least) on 3/14. Not to have the latest drivers is sort of puzzling to me?

Anyway I went to the first link, and in it is says once can run a utility to check if an update it needed :

--------------

Want to save time? Not sure if you need this file?   

Run this easy to use

Intel® Driver Update Utility and it will "automatically" tell you if you need to update your chipset INF file, and if so, will prompt you to install and you are done. This will save you a lot of time not only on your chipset download but the most common files needed for your system.

---------------

That did NOT assure me this was the right thing to do:

The last link is even more worrisome? It is NOT for Win 8.x

---------

Operating Systems:

Windows 7 *, Windows Server 2008 R2*

---------

Can you confirm these are the correct links?

Can you confirm BACKLEVEL drivers were shipped with recent 8700's?

835 Posts

May 12th, 2014 16:00

Hi IrvSp,

You should update the chipset and usb 3.0 drivers, here are the links for the downloads from the Intel website:

Chipset: http://intel.ly/1lpTRHS

USB: http://intel.ly/1g2o5kR

Test the system after that and post back with the results please.

No Events found!