Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2006 19:00

XPS 700: POST HERE IF YOU WANT DELL TO HEAR YOU

On July 3 the first of 3 historic threads was begun on the Dell Community Forum. After hundreds of posts on Thread #1 Dell responded directly to that forum Voice and offered the XPS 700 customer that ordered prior to July 18, two options. 1) Change the order to the new Core 2 processor. (With an October ship date)  2) Receive the originally ordered Pentium D processor, and receive a $200 Dell gift card.  Forum members were excited!! We had been heard and Dell responded. But now here we are on August 8, and the promised "Quick" shipment of the Pentium D orders has not happened. Many customers have not yet been contacted regarding the 2 options. People are held captive to their phones waiting for "The Call". Stories abound with different offers. Ship dates are still being promised, and there is no consistency to be found with those dates. Options continue to be removed for some and then suddenly another has that option available. (ex. Geforce 7950GX 2). Those that were given the October ship date were verbally told that it could be any day, and not to worry. It hasn't happened. Important dates have come and gone. (ex. Core 2 release) Articles are being written by outside sources. (TGdaily, Cnet). Customers are having orders mysteriously cancelled. Many customers are cancelling and going elsewhere.. Excuses abound from Dell representatives. (Paint won't stick, items out of stock, quad won't work, power supply too hot,...) Some are reporting in with "awesome" deals (Core 2 AND the $200 gift card), while others got the minimum. Dell announces on the Dell blog that there are technical problems, and that they appreciate our patience. Some questions get answered by Dell and some don't. And...And...And...And time keeps rolling by.

This poses the biggest problem, because in the computer world, 3 months means a whole new coomputer can be on the market.  Improved motherboards, better chipsets, DirectX 10, 8000 series Geforce, quad processors...... Which is all fine. But a big question is, what about those that are on HOLD for the XPS 700? Is it fair to have to sit on the sidelines and wait? And what if the nVidia 590 finally does get completed in mid October. Will Iwe have just received a shipment that is "current" or will I open the box to find out that I have just purchased YESTERDAY'S TECHNOLOGY AT YESTERDAY'S PRICES.

WE DO HAVE A PROBLEM HERE. WHEN HAS A COMPUTER COMPANY EVER UNVEILED THEIR NEW FLAGSHIP COMPUTER, WITH ALL THE PR AND ADVERTISING IMAGINABLE TO NOT BE ABLE TO DELIVER THE PRODUCT. 4 MONTHS!   DELL HAS FOUND THEMSELVES IN A VERY DIFFICULT PLACE. IF DELL WOULD LEVEL WITH US AND BE HONEST WITH US IT WOULD GO A LONG WAY. WE THE CUSTOMER ARE ENTITLED TO ANSWERS AND  DESERVE TO BE INFORMED. DELL NEEDS TO INFORM US CLEARLY AND ACCURATELY. WE NEED THIS AND DELL NEEDS THIS. IT IS GOOD BUSINESS. AND THEREFORE THIS THREAD.

This thread is dedicated to pushing Dell to do the right thing. It is dedicated to the customer that wants answers. This needs to be the place that Dell can come to and find out what is really bothering the customer in regards to the xps 700 problem.Ideas need to be shared here. Updates need to be posted here. Articles should be put before other members here. Questions that we want answered should be posted here. This is not a thread where we will stand in the gap for Dell and tell the frustrated customer that he needs to be patient.  This is not the place to post your criticism of the consumer that is fighting for his or her rights. THIS THREAD IS DEDICATED TO TAKING CARE OF THE CUSTOMER  AND THE THREAD THAT IS PUSHING DELL TO BECOME A MORE CUSTOMER CENTERED COMPUTER COMPANY.

So please post here if you want to be heard by Dell. Be honest without being malicious. Expect Dell to hear us, and expect Dell to respond, FAST and FAIR.

OK. I want to be heard by Dell, so I'm posting here.

I've just cancelled my XPS700 order and have not ordered anything from Dell to replace it. I'm buying locally.

I want Dell to know that they have alienated a very vocal and very potentially lucrative section of their customer base - those who will pay a lot of money relatively speaking for a gaming machine.

If they had been honest with us in the beginning and kept the conversation going, many of us would be willing to cut them some slack. Not informing your customers or the poor reps who have to talk to us about what the problems are undermines confidence in ANY Dell product, not just this one.

Now we hear the issue is the cooling ... do I want to not only wait 4 months for a computer to arrive and pay for it with 4-month-old prices and get a 4-month out-of-date "flagship" product, but also to have to be concerned that maybe Dell pushed the production before totally fixing this cooling problem? No thanks ... I ordered the XPS700 because my old computer is not working as it should in the cooling department (it's getting old and not worth fixing) ... no way do I want to have to worry I'm going to fry my motherboard.

So, Dell, not only have you alienated customers who have now cancelled their orders, but those still hanging on have got to be wondering if they're buying a machine that is going to be filled with warranty issues. If that happens, more customer negativity is assured.

Until I can see that Dell has pulled itself out of this total disregard for its customers, I will be telling everyone I know about my dealings with Dell, and (pardon what may sound like bragging) I know a lot of people who are considering purchasing new computers. They will likely not choose Dell once they hear my story. If those 10 people tell 10 other people, who then tell 10 other people each, etc., how long before there are no more customers to keep things from???

I expected better from Dell. Even their phone reps are saying that they would not stand for this kind of treatment (buy a computer and wait 4 months for delivery) and they wish they could do something to help, but all they can say is "sorry" .... "sorry" is too late and too little in this case.

2 Intern

• 

996 Posts

I just read the post by ChrisM from Dell regarding the heat issues, and this sentence comes to mind!!

"For eight weeks Dell engineers tested an innovative internal design to maximize thermal efficiency"

What does this mean!!:smileysurprised:

Would you guys take a pill, and go away.  Boy, you are all getting no where fast.  What a joke, all these threads you make.   It will be out, when it comes out, for goodness sakes.... :smileymad:

102 Posts

August 8th, 2006 20:00

for sure the world is reading the DELL irresponsibility...

1.2K Posts

Deadites, I second that comment.  Much better for the problem to relate to the CPU heatsink/fan assembly than something like the chipset, motherboard, or CPU compatibility. 

For that matter I'd prefer they just drop in a nice off-the-shelf Zalman 9500 copper sink and fan, but it probably wouldn't fit the board layout.

Guess this explains why the demonstration XPS 700 I saw at a recent video game convention had the case open! :robothappy:

WiseManShazam, I think you are posting on the wrong board.  This is the XPS forum, I understand from your posts a few days ago you are now an Optiplex customer.  Please take your comments to the business/server board.  (THIS IS MEANT TO BE A JOKE) :robotvery-happy:

Message Edited by Aivas47a on 08-08-200604:46 PM

66 Posts

Just all ways remember if you ordered a XPS 700 you got in on a
beaning full deal with chooseing dell.

Speacial offer buy now wait later.

Message Edited by OzGoD on 08-08-200604:56 PM

453 Posts

Personally, I am just glad it wasn't something related to the motherboard or other hardware component. Fixing the cooling assembly sounds like an easy enough task.

Hopefully systems will start shipping soon.

66 Posts

@gbakmars wrote:

I just read the post by ChrisM from Dell regarding the heat issues, and this sentence comes to mind!!

"For eight weeks Dell engineers tested an innovative internal design to maximize thermal efficiency"

What does this mean!!:smileysurprised:

It means they FLAT out *LIED*!
To date Dell has NO trust in their bag...NONE....and all Net Reviews are garbage....to date....!

139 Posts

@Deadites wrote:
Fixing the cooling assembly sounds like an easy enough task.

Hopefully systems will start shipping soon.

I agree completely should take 4-8 hours For an engineer to come up with the solution 8 to 24 hours to implement production of the solution.

So tell me this why 4-8 weeks to ship?

Next point I ordered on 6/2 what have I got for continuing to put up with the inexcusable delays. I still have the same undeliverable computer on order. Granted it has a core 2 duo extreme processor but it cost the same as the 965 extreme processor.

What has dell done for me for waiting absolutely nothing?

I have input on about .5 Million a year of IT and it looks like that it is going to start being spent elsewhere!

All I wanted was fast and fair Treatment this week our own beloved Chris M has pointed us to two very different issues supposedly delaying the systems. Which one is it? Just imagine if Mr. Dell decided to say you have 2 weeks to the systems shipping to my standards or look for another Job after all he did say we would be able to get them the moment that they were announced by Intel not Halloween!

Wasn't the cooling system all hyped up to be descendent from "jet engines" and Dell was telling everbody how "revolutionary" it was.....

August 8th, 2006 21:00

Sorry, I want them here.  Your comments I dont want here.

@MoonGlow2001 wrote:
Would you guys take a pill, and go away.  Boy, you are all getting no where fast.  What a joke, all these threads you make.   It will be out, when it comes out, for goodness sakes.... :smileymad:

27 Posts

Is this the new message thread that to take the place of the latest one that Chris M locked ( XPS-700 Delays - Answers and Issues )?

343 Posts

I ordered on June 13 2006 I started off real happy. Oh boy im getting a Dell. Today im
not very happy. It really bugs me that some of the things i ordered will be out dated
by new and better products. I kinda feel cheated and flustered. I really hope Dell
makes me feel i did the right thing by sticking with them. Time will be the answer
to this one. I made some post in my 2 gaming forums i moderate. These are the links...

635 Posts

Sorry guys,

I'm just not biting on the 'cooling' issue.  It may be cooling related, but why else would we not be able to get 48x CDRW and 7950GX2's?  They've already goofed on the # of PCI slots.

Bub
No Events found!