Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2008 22:00

XPS 410 doesn't support Corsair XMS Memory?

Back when I first bought my XPS 410 (October 2006) I was told by Dell that the XPS systems were meant to be good gaming PC's.  I asked questions about buying memory online and was told that this system would take everything up to PC2-6400 modules.

Well here's one little thing that Dell doesn't tell you. This PC will only take PC2-6400 modules that run at 1.8v.  If you have gaming memory from makes like Corsair that run at 1.9v then it can cause your system to become unstable and can damage the memory modules.

The reason behind this being that Dell have locked the motherboards on the XPS 410 to only supply 1.8v to the memory.  Doing this means that you cannot use anything other than very specific sticks of memory.

In fact to buy a compliant stick of Corsair memory that has the same specs as the XMS2 sticks you have to purchase them ONLY at Best Buy, and the sticks will set you back almost 4x what you would pay almost anywhere else.

Also Corsair will tell you that they will not replace your sticks under warranty as you ran them on a "non-supported" system.

So I guess my big question is would Dell please code a BIOS for the XPS 410 (after all this is supposed to be an XPS system right?) that would allow the usage of other voltages (or auto-sensing the voltages) to make the system far more compatible?

Otherwise this system becomes even more of a lemon for me :(

14.4K Posts

April 12th, 2008 00:00

If that is the case then any memory that is EPP/SLI certified should work as when not in EPP/SLI mode there are spds in the sticks that will let them run a 1.8v. The timings may be a bit loser but i feel they should  run

THE OCZ sticks i have in my system will run at 5-5-5--23 at 1.8v which is the standard voltage on the mb

April 12th, 2008 02:00

@Davet50 wrote:

If that is the case then any memory that is EPP/SLI certified should work as when not in EPP/SLI mode there are spds in the sticks that will let them run a 1.8v. The timings may be a bit loser but i feel they should  run

THE OCZ sticks i have in my system will run at 5-5-5--23 at 1.8v which is the standard voltage on the mb

I guess my big issue though is that I no longer work in the tech industry and I work long hours.

I don't have time to keep up with all of the new specs and stuff :(

I long for the days when I could just buy a stick of memory that was the right speed and poof it would work.

125 Posts

April 12th, 2008 11:00

I placed Crucial 8500 Ram in my 410 and all four run great.

125 Posts

Contrvlr,

Yes four 1 gig 8500 Crucial Ballistic sticks.  I went from 5.5 on the windows score with 800mhz Super talent to 5.9 with the Crucial.  I think my 3dmark score went up some as well, however I can't remember the scores now.

1.4K Posts

@DOUGLAS666 wrote:
                             I placed Crucial 8500 Ram in my 410 and all four run great.

Nice.

4 x 1 g ?

Have you done any benchmarking to see what kind of improvement you got ?

I run 2 x1g Ballistix 800mhz in my D9200 with no problems, according to spec they run at higher timings when supplied with 1.8v.

The difference between 667 mhz and 800 mhz was 18 points on the cpu score in 3D'06, not enough to make upgrading worth it.

No Events found!