Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

PJ

June 17th, 2006 18:00

USB Flash Drive

I have a Dell dimension 2350 (3 years old) and a Dell Inspiron B120 (new) both running factory installed XP home. I have Installed and used 2 different flash drives from 2 different companies on the laptop and they work fine. When I try and install them on the desktop (D2350) they will not install. I get an error message indicating "drivers for this device not installed-code 28". When I use the install new hardware option in the control panel it tries to install but returns with cannot find drivers. The usb ports have other devices, printer, scanner, 2 different cameras and they all work fine. The computer sees the new hardware but cannot install them. It has all available updates from day 1 of it's life. Where do I go from here?

2.7K Posts

June 18th, 2006 12:00

hi. what type of usb key are they? eg make

my sandisk usb key uses generic drivers in xp. i suggest going to the manufacturers site and see if they have a forum or new drivers to download...

also have you tried another usb port? just a idea

Dimension 8300,
P4 2.80GHz 800MHz w/HT
1GB PC3200
Sparkle 6600GT oc
Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (retail)
Seagate SATA 120,160, USB2 external 200GB
NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD, Pioneer 16x DVD+/-RW DL DVR-109,
15inch LCD
D-link DSL-G604T Router & D-link DWL-G122 wireless adapter
HP deskjet 3550, HP PSC 1310 all in one
Leadtek DV2000 tv tuner, Wacom graphire3 4x5inch, PCI Cooler | 80mm hdd fan
Benchmarks 3dmark03 8446...3dmark05 3498..3dmark06 1821...PCmark05 3448

June 19th, 2006 10:00

Thanks for your reply,

One drive was from SanDisk and was 512mb - After spending well over 1 hour on hold waiting for tech service to answer they just disconnected me because it was closing time, so I returned it.

The second drive is from PNY (Attache) 1gb. I am awaiting an answer from their Tech service.

Both drives functioned exactly the same way, the computer recognized the new hardware but couldn't install because it couldn't find the files.

Both Manufacturer's sites indicate that no drivers are needed in XP as they are already installed. Neither site had any available drivers for XP. The laptop recognized the new hardware and it was a 5 second installation.  

Yes I did try other ports and I also have other removable drive software that works on the desktop,but that came with an installation CD.

Ken

69 Posts

June 20th, 2006 09:00

Your SanDisk may come with software to install on it or on a disc...
If it's a Cruzer Mini, like what I have, then the software is pre-installed on the drive and just needs you to set it up and your ready to go.
Try going to the Windows update website and see if there are any updates for the drivers...

Message Edited by SugarD-x on 06-20-200603:58 AM

June 20th, 2006 13:00

The Sandisk drive had no external software with it and since I can't get the computer to read it I can't do anything to install it. I spent over an hour talking with PNY tech support yesterday (very pleasant and only a 3 minute hold) and they could not come up with an answer.

I have done every windows driver update I can find from MS but since I don't know which drivers are missing I can't download a specific driver/s.

Thanks for your reply,

Ken

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

June 20th, 2006 18:00

Just want to confirm that you don't need additional software for Sandisk flash drives to work. They work fine in my B110 with Windows XP and my 4100 with Windows 2000.

7 Posts

June 26th, 2006 14:00

Hope this is relevant--and I certainly could use some help.

I have the Sandisk Cruzer Micro 512MB, SDCZ6-512-A10 and it will not work on either FRONT usb ports on either my home or work computers (both Dell desktops, a Dimension and an Optiplex, running XP), but it will work fine when plugged into the back ports.  Yes, I've tried the following trouble-shooting, but still nothing:

Device Manager indicated that front usb ports are working fine and in fact other usb drives and other peripherals (I believe usb 1 or 2) work fine.

Tried a co-workers Sandisk Cruzer Micro 1GB and same thing--doesn't work in the front ports but fine in the back (at least on work computer--didn't take his drive home).

Any ideas?

Thanks

7 Posts

June 26th, 2006 16:00

Solution Found!

I should have known, it was simply that the Cruzer doesn't go it quite far enough.  The Dell front ports are recessed too far and the plastic housing prevents an adequate connection.  It feels like it's in all the way but it is not.  Proof of this is that the drive will work in rear ports (which have no plastic housing around them) and if I push the drive harder and hold it then it will work in front ports, but not reliably.  Hope this helps others.

July 7th, 2006 22:00

First and foremost my thanks to all of the people who responded to my problem of a flash drive not installing on my desktop although it installed fine on my laptop. Both of these machines are Dell's running XP Home, the difference being in their ages. This turned out to be a simple problem, that is after hours and hours of trying almost everything in the book and them some. It seems that there is a Windows Knowledge base article that pointed to the eventual solution.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=873169 and basically the article said when you install Windows XP Service Pack 2, the USB 2.0 drivers do not appear to update. The interesting thing is that any removable drives installed before the sp2 upgrade continued to work fine and this is the first removable drive installation have tried since then.

A continuing search along those lines produced a forum answer from another person who had experienced a similar problem.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
He said: I figured out the answer to my problem: I did a search for USBSTOR.SYS on my hard drive and found that I had the USB Mass Storage Device Drivers on my computer.

I figured the file might be corrupted so I went in and changed the name to USBSTOR.BAD .C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32DRIVERS\USBSTOR.SYS is the location.

I then rebooted my pc and plugged my SanDisk Cruzer Mini back in to the front of my pc in the USB drive and my pc immediately recognized the device and the Found New Hardware popped up again and asked me if I had the disk or software or if I wanted to choose from a list which is what I did. I hit browse and went to the windows folder: Windows\inf which is where most of the windows drivers are and lo and behold it worked...it started building new USB Mass Storage Device Drivers from the backup file and a nice new drive letter was created (F) which is the next logical drive letter and in front of that it said removable media.

This all might seem elementary to some of you but I'm not a novice at this and I had a friend over who is a so-called expert and between the two of us we had Dell on one phone for an hour...who eventually said that the only thing left for me to do was reformat my hd and re-stall Win XP SP2. They tried...they stuck with us for an hour. I had SanDisk on another phone for the fifth time and this particular tech had no clue. Altogether we spent 3+ hours on this.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Although I really don't care to play around with system files, today I got up the courage to make a system restore point and jump into the deep end of the pool. While the process did not go exactly as it was outlined with a little maneuvering around it worked . The Flash Drive is now functioning on all machines. Just as I said after 5-6 hours of trying things and another 3-4 hours of searching and reading, it was really a simple fix :-)

One thing I did learn is when searching for computer related information I did find out that the search engine http://www.dogpile.com/ was far more productive than a Google search. Using the same phrase on both search engines, Dogpile ( I am not sure of the significance of the name) came up with many more related answers.

Once again my thanks to all of you who responded and gave so much of your time.

Ken
No Events found!