Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2016 16:00

USB 3.0 ports showing USB 1 speed with Oculus Rift headset

I recently acquired an Oculus Rift VR headset. I bought a Dell XPS 8900 that was certified for the headset.  I can use the headset but occasionally the headset loses connection. The connection does usually return.  Running the support diagnosis app from Dell shows the VR sensor USB at 3.0 speeds but the VR headset USB port only shows USB 1.0 speed.  The devices are indeed plugged into the 3.0 ports. The headset requires 3.0 speeds according to specs.  I have switched around the various USB cables and get the same result.  I recently updated the chipset driver from Dell and get the same result.  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance..

10 Elder

• 

43.9K Posts

August 15th, 2016 12:00

Version of Windows?

Do you have the latest version of BIOS, 2.1.3?

Did you also update the Intel Management Engine driver when you updated the chipset driver?

For loss of USB connection, you can try this:  Go into Device Manager and expand list under USB. Double-click a USB root hub and click its power management tab. Uncheck the box "Allow PC to turn off...". Repeat for all USB root hubs. Then do the same for any Human Interface Device listed in Device Manager that has a power management tab.

Now go to the Windows Power options screen. Select the active power plan and click the link to change settings. Go to the Advanced settings page and disable USB Selective Suspend. Apply the change and exit the power plan.

Reboot and see if that helps...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 15th, 2016 12:00

Not all the ports are USB3.  Only the ones with BLUE plastic are.  The ones that are black are USB2.  USB3 only works when the 100 series chipset driver and the INTEL USB 3 extensible interface driver is installed.   USB3 drivers are NOT native to windows not even windows 10.

Description Supported OS Download
Intel(R) Management Engine Interface Driver
This package provides Intel Management Engine Interface Driver and is supported on OptiPlex, Precision, XPS and Latitude running the following Operating Systems: Windows 7 32bits/64bits, Windows 8.1 32bits/64bits, Windows 10 32bits/64bits.More details
Windows 7 32-bit
WB64A
WB32A
Windows 7 64-bit
WT32A
WT64A
Intel 100 Series Chipset Driver
This package provides Intel 100 Series Chipset Driver and is supported on XPS 8900 running the following Windows Operating systems: Windows 7, 8.1, 10 .More details
WT64A
Windows 7 32-bit
Windows 7 64-bit
WB64A
Intel USB3.0 xHCI Driver
This package provides the driver for Intel USB 3.0 xHCI and is supported on XPS 8900 systems running the following Operating Systems: Windows 8.1.More details
WB32A
WB64A

No Events found!