Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2013 05:00

Running Command Prompt From Dell Vista CD As Administrator

I would like to run sfc/scannow from the command prompt available when using the Dell Vista installation CD.

I cannot run this command unless I am using the prompt with elevated privileges.

Can someone tell me how to run the command utility as administrator?

Thanks

1.5K Posts

June 25th, 2013 05:00

Hi species8350,

You may follow the below mentioned steps to open Command Prompt as an administrator:

Click Start -> Click All Programs -> Click Accessories -> Right Click on Command Prompt and select 'Run as administrator'.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

1.5K Posts

June 25th, 2013 08:00

Hi species8350,

Once you boot to Command Prompt using the Windows Vista installation CD, please type in the command 'C:\>runas /user: \administrator cmd ' and press the 'Enter' key. This will allow you to run Command Prompt as an administrative user. Check if you are able to run sfc/scannow.

You may also want to refer to the link http://bit.ly/DUwUF for further assistance.

104 Posts

June 25th, 2013 08:00

I cannot boot Vista, hence I am using the command prompt available via the Dell Vista cd.

104 Posts

June 25th, 2013 21:00

I believe that the command prompt within the installation disk runs in administrator mode by default.

runas is not a recognised command

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 26th, 2013 09:00

You can't run sfc/scannow  from a Vista Installation DVD.  Its not a windows PE environment boot disk.

104 Posts

June 26th, 2013 21:00

Thank you for the information.

I cannot boot Vista, is there a way that I can run sfc?

If not, is there another way that I can repair my system files, or must I re-install?

Regarding re-installation, what is the difference between a Dell Factory re-Installation and using the Dell Vista Disk to perform Vista re-installation.

Is one method preferred over the other?

Thanks

A

1.5K Posts

June 27th, 2013 07:00

Hi species8350,

Please boot to recovery environment using the Windows Vista re-installation CD. Perform System Restore from there and check if you are able to boot to Windows. If yes, you may try running sfc scan within the Windows. If you are still not able to boot you will need to reinstall the Windows using the CDs.

Dell Factory restore means restoring the system back to the factory state like you got it from Dell when you first received it. Preforming re-installation using the CDs means formatting the system and installing a fresh copy of Windows. Both the process involves data loss, so please make sure that data is backed up.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

June 27th, 2013 09:00

Vista  does not come on CD (Normally) they come on DVD's and Windows 7/8 only comes on DVD.

XP comes on CD. :emotion-15:

No Events found!