Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2003 12:00

Dimension 4100 and (eVGA.com) Nvidia e-GeForce4 MX 440 SE problems

Well, after looking through this forum, I think I'm screwed. Maybe someone can confirm this. Here's what happened.

I began getting errors like,"Your video adapter is incorrect or your settings are incorrect". It would boot in 16 color mode, I would change the settings back to 16 bit and 1024 x 768 and it would be okay....for a while. I bought the new Nvidia card (model number detailed above) and used the supplied cd to install it. I set it to the same resolution as the old card. All went well, and the new card looked great....for about 10 minutes. Then, fine vertical lines appeared, and the screen colors would flash different colors when the mouse was moved or any graphics changed. My sys was getting slow anyway, so I formatted the hard drive and installed the OS (Win98SE) using the Dell recovery cd. I then installed the chipset drivers using the Dell cd, and installed Dell drivers for the peripherals that came with the system. It boots up a lot faster but I still have the same problem. I installed Directx 9 using the cd that came with the new card. I ran dxdiag and saw that none of the 3d stuff was enabled. The 3d demos that came with the card won't run. When I look in the system devices, the properties report says the card is functioning normally. The new card will run for a few minutes, then the vertical lines appear, then it will lock up the sys and I have to cold boot. Then, it may or may not come back up; sometimes, it locks up on the black screen.
I have seen elsewhere on the forum that inadequate power supplies may be a problem. The new card requires 250 watts; I don't see any watt rating on the PS case, and I don't see it on my purchasing documents and the online Dell system summary doesn't list it either.

I've formatted the drive and installed drivers twice; searched the Dell and eVGA.com forums and support sections for help; so far, all I can conclude at this point is I've bought the wrong card for my machine and I'm screwed (I can't take the card back because I've had it too long). What I have felt like doing is smashing it on the ground so I would have to buy a new PC; what I really ought to do is kick myself in the rear for not doing more investigating before buying a new card.

Anybody got some size 12 brogans handy?

217 Posts

Did you go to Nvidia and download THEIR drivers?

I have a Ti4200 128meg in my old 4100 PIII 800mzh and it works great.

And make sure the card is seated well in the slot.  Check all connections.

You know the simple stuff....

4 Posts

Oh, yea, forgot to mention: My original card was Nvidia GeForce 256 32MB AGP. The new card got so bad about locking up I put the old one back in. I am viewing this in glorious 16 x 480 x 640 mode. [sigh] :(

4 Posts

September 5th, 2003 13:00

@sbring44 wrote:

Did you go to Nvidia and download THEIR drivers?

Yup, got the latest for my new card. I've had it in and out several times, so I'm sure it's properly seated.

Maybe I don't have enough power. How can I find the rating on my power supply?

298 Posts

September 5th, 2003 17:00

Hi

The 4100 has a PS rated at 200w

However there are many many posts about

Dell underrating there PS's

I was unable to run a ATI card that required a 300w,

in my 4100

But I did run a PNY FX5200 for a week that needed a250w PS

Took it back because it wasn't much better, then the 32mb GForce 2

that I had.

Finally listened to the gurus on this forum

& bought a GForce4 Ti  128mb-- $129 off Newegg

Came yesterday, put it this morning after I got off work 

Seems to be running just great

My frame rates are up 20+  --Nascar2003

Thats being able to use my mirror, most all of the other effects cranked up

& max  mode  1800 X something I believe

clarity & sharpness of details are much better

HTH

Bob 

4 Posts

November 21st, 2003 19:00

It's been a while, but I thought I would reply here for anyone's future benefit. I bought a new power supply (300 watt, original was 200 watt, new card required 250 watt), but that didn't fix anything, just created a hole in my wallet. :(

Got a friend to install the new card in his machine; it did the same thing. Got an RMA from evga.com and sent the card off. New card arrived and was installed; all is well now. But it was the most aggravating computer related purchase I have ever made, mainly because I wasn't careful in seating the board properly (assuming that caused the card failure, no way to know for sure). Lesson learned!
No Events found!