Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

November 10th, 2003 11:00

Dell respecing data privacy

Hi,

I am not sure whether this is the right forum, but it seemed to be the closest I could find.

I have been having a problem in getting a clear picture about whether Dell respects data privacy.

My hard disk failed recently - completely, I could not get hold of the data.

I was asked by Dell to return my old disk. I asked them to confirm that they would respect the privacy of the data on the disk. I was told that it is company policy that the data is the responsiblility of the customer - not Dell. They suggested I delete the data from the disk - which they should have realised was not possible for me.

Despite repeated questions the Dell person I spoke to said that Dell had no responsibility to respect the privacy of the data. I find this difficult to believe and I know my company's contract with its computer supplier specifically makes the supplier responsible for the privacy of the data they take off the premises.

And if it were true. then most people would have to be foolish to take out a return to base maintenance contract. If they had a legal responsibility to maintain the privacy of the data - they might even be in breach of contract.

What I would like to know is where I could get some clarity on this - I cannot believe that a company such as Dell would take this position. I know my employer would not sign a contract with these terms and conditions.

Regards,

AndyG

's responsiy claime

28K Posts

November 10th, 2003 12:00

This sounds like an issue that would be best addressed in the Customer Care - General forum.  There is a lot more interaction between Dell representatives and users over there, whereas this forum is mainly a user to user forum dealing with solving hardware problems on Dell computers.

Steve

No Events found!