Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 7th, 2009 09:00

Dell Wireless Antenna - Help!

Hi, I recently ordered a new desktop pc,  including a Wireless Network Card 1505 PCIe 802.11n, which was delivered this morning.

When I opened the box, I found a Wireless Antenna.  There are no instructions with it other than a diagram showing it plugging into the front of a desktop pc.  What on earth am I supposed to do with it?!  We use a Linksys Home Gateway wireless box that my husband connects to ... well, wirelessley (is that a made up word?!).  He doesn't have an antenna hanging out of his laptop.  It just connects when he switches on his computer.

Am I supposed to connect using this stupid antenna?  Why have I paid for a wireless card?  I really don't understand.  I may as well have stuck with my existing system of a cable going into the wireless box from my pc (and another going from the box to the telephone point in the wall).

Somebody please help!

799 Posts

February 8th, 2009 12:00

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Here's the info you requested: - Model is a Studio Desktop 540MT (was going for an XPS but they uppped the price just before I ordered ... rats!!)- Wireless card is a Wireless Network Card 1505 PCIe 802.11n for desktops (is there any other number that you need for this and, if so, any ideas where can I find it?)- OS is Vista Home Premium SP1, 32Bit.  If there's anything else you need, let me know. I was told by Dell that all I needed was the card and it would hook up to my Linksys box.  They never mentioned an adaptor.  Any idea why my husband's laptop not require an antenna yet the desktop does?  Have they given me the wrong wireless card? Hope to hear from you soon, Lulu

Hello Lulu, Sorry to be so late responding to you but I have been away for a while.

I couldn't locate a photo of the wireless card, but to try and answer your question,

the wireless card for a Laptop has the antenna built into the wirelesss device which is located inside the laptop, while the PCIe card is located inside the PC case and inserted into a slot on the motherboard of the system and has an external antenna that you would need to connect to the PCIe wireless card.

It should just screw in like a connector to an older VCR or TV antenna.

You seem to have the proper wireless card for your system.

You can go into the Control Panel and locate the Wirless Connection section and set up the Desktop wireless device to communicate with the Linksys wireless router.

You may need to use any software that came with the Dell system to set up this connection, but you may not.

Hope this helps.

24 Posts

February 9th, 2009 11:00

If you enabled security in the router you will need to enter the key for each computer using that router through Wireless access. The best way to access the router is hook a LAN cable to your router and computer and connect. Then enter the router local address through your web browser in the address bar. Linksys default address is usually 192.168.1.1 this should bring up a login screen if you have a  their is usually a default password which you should have changed otherwise I think its password go to your wireless setting and security in the router access and find the key and write it down.

799 Posts

February 7th, 2009 09:00

Hello Lulu01, Usually if you have a wireless PCIe card installed, the antenna should be connected to the card which will be at the rear of the case, near where all the other cables connect.

Can you advise the model of your system or the number of the wireless PCIe network card and what OS version are you usinng?

After you connect the antenna, you may have to set up the wireless connection to the Linksys router in order to get it to be recognized by the Linksys.

I checked the Dell site and they show several different brands and models of the PCIe wireless network card, so without an exact model number, it would be just a guess as to how to proceed to resolve the issue.

The above information is just generic and off the top of my head as I try to remember it.

Hope some of this helps.

29 Posts

February 8th, 2009 02:00

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

Here's the info you requested:

- Model is a Studio Desktop 540MT (was going for an XPS but they uppped the price just before I ordered ... rats!!)

- Wireless card is a Wireless Network Card 1505 PCIe 802.11n for desktops (is there any other number that you need for this and, if so, any ideas where can I find it?)

- OS is Vista Home Premium SP1, 32Bit. 

If there's anything else you need, let me know.

I was told by Dell that all I needed was the card and it would hook up to my Linksys box.  They never mentioned an adaptor.  Any idea why my husband's laptop not require an antenna yet the desktop does?  Have they given me the wrong wireless card?

Hoep to hear from you soon, Lulu

29 Posts

February 9th, 2009 04:00

Hi, thanks for getting back to me.

I now understand re the antenna - thanks for that.   I am a little closer.  The pc is asking for a key number which I am awaiting on.

Hopefully, I will then be able to connect.

Lulu

799 Posts

February 9th, 2009 06:00

The pc is asking for a key number which I am awaiting on. Hopefully, I will then be able to connect. Lulu

Hello Lulu, The key number that you mention may be the key number that is neccessary to connect to the Linksys wireless router.

This would have been established when the Linksys was originally set up.

You would need to know the name of the Network that was made (named) when the Linksys was set up.

Hope this is not to confusing.

Please keep us updated as to you success or lack thereof.

29 Posts

February 9th, 2009 22:00

Dear All, thanks to everyone who replied.

I finally got the wretched thing to connect.  In brief, the Key I was given was incorrect.  I could connect by Ethernet cable, but not via wireless.  After much to-ing and fro-ing, I got there.

I am now connected :emotion-2:.

Thanks again, Lulu

No Events found!