Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 31st, 2012 10:00

Computer automatically going into power save mode

About a year ago, my computer would constantly go into power save mode, and the only way I could get out of it was by restarting the computer. After trying several things, we noticed that the computer's fan didn't seem to be putting out enough air, so we hooked up a more powerful fan and it was mostly fine for the next year.

Lately, however, I've been having the same problems. The fan still works fine, and we recently cleaned out the computer. I've noticed, both last year and now, that the longer I have my computer shut off when it messes up, the longer it'll typically go before going into PSM again. I thought this might mean that it does have something to do with being overheated, but I'm not sure.

My model is an Inspiron 530, Processor Intel(R) Core (TM) 2 duo CPU E7500@2.93 GHZ, 2.93 GHz. My operating system is Windows Vista, 64. Any help would be apperciated.

August 31st, 2012 11:00

Hi Austin,

I would suggest running the following diagnostic tests in order to check the hardware functionality of the system:

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
2. When the Dell logo appears, press F12 immediately. If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft® Windows desktop, and then shut down the computer and try again.
3. When the boot device list appears, highlight Boot to Utility Partition and press Enter.
4. When the Dell Diagnostics main menu appears, select the test you want to run.
5. The Dell Diagnostics screen appears. It would list the four options given below:

a. Express Test.
b. Extended Test.
c. Custom Test.
d. Symptom Tree.

6. Please select ‘Extended’ test.
7. If the diagnostics encounter a problem during a test, a message will appear with an error code and a description. Write down the error code and the problem description.

You may reseat the memory and the video card (if a discreet video card is installed) as well. I would suggest that you run the diagnostics after reseating these parts.

For steps to reseat the memory and video card, you may visit the following link:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/inspiron-530/docs

Please let me know if you need any clarifications. I will be glad to help.

August 31st, 2012 13:00

I'm afraid the problem is bad enough that the computer shut down part way through the test. I'll try again in a few hours, but what I did get through seemed fine.

August 31st, 2012 17:00

Okay, I tried to do the test again. After a section that tested whether the computer could display RGB and white, I got a message that said "Error Code 1100:012A" And said something along the lines of "the driver did not respond in a fixted time for an access attempt." I had to do the test twice to write down the information, and both times my computer shut down a few seconds after displaying that message.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 31st, 2012 18:00

Hi Austin,

Follow this link <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> for instructions on re-seating your video card.

However, I think your video card is bad and will need to be replaced.

August 31st, 2012 18:00

The https://dell.to/jZxi4v link is just telling me that Internet Explorer Cannot display this webpage.

September 1st, 2012 06:00

Thank you, but that list is rather long. Which section should I be looking at

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 2nd, 2012 05:00

Your video card is a PCI Express X16 card, so follow those instructions.

September 12th, 2012 08:00

I installed a new video card and a better power supply, which has resolved the problem. Thanks to everyone for their responses.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 30th, 2013 03:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                

No Events found!