Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2009 16:00

Can't open my Western Digital external hard drive

I have been hopping around the web following links and trying to find a solution to my problem.  In short I have a dell E520 desktop running a 32 bit vista  home premium OS.  we moved and the computer was set-up without the 500G western digital my book external drive.  So I pluged it in and I have had nothing but trouble to include a variety of  problems an error message stating there was a hardware with an unknown driver, unable to locate a driver, unable to update driver.  Now the device is recognized under device manager with a driver.  However the my book does not appear in my computer and I can't access any of our files. 

A  few threads talked about pointing the device to the C:\Windows\winsxs to find the driver-didn't help

II am waiting to uncorrupt the INFCACHE.1 because it seems to me that there is a driver and it seems to be working so would this really help?  I hope there maybe another solution out there.

Western digital was of little helpunless I want to drop some coin for their efforts, but they did tell the warranty had expired-great!

Any help would be awesome.

Thanks,

JGP 

May 6th, 2009 20:00

Dear JPG,

Here's my suggestion.  Disconnect your WD drive and then remove WD Manager from your computer (Using the add/remove utility). Then start over and reinstall the WD program manager using the installation disk.  Connect your WD drive when the installation wizard tells you do so.  Then your WD drive should work properly.  When it asks if you want to convert to RAID0 say "no thanks."

Regards,

Docie

No Events found!