Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2015 07:00

OME prompting to install Silverlight

Today when I opened the web interface to my OME server/application, IE prompted me to install Silverlight, which I did.  Now IE locks up and stop responding when I attempt to open the web interface!

Same result when I used Chrome, prompt to install Silverlight and Chrome stops working.

I haven't opened OME for a few weeks so do not know when this started, but the last time I did open it, I was not prompted to install silverlight and it worked fine.

It works fine on the server itself.

I am running version 2.0.1.2222 on Windows Server 2012

Any ideas?

387 Posts

September 29th, 2015 12:00

For reasons unknown to me, I tried again and after Silverlight installed I was finally able to open OME.  

Not sure what happened there, but I'm glad it's back!

September 30th, 2015 00:00

Keep in mind that only the following browsers are supported at the moment:

Supported browsers

• Microsoft Internet Explorer 9, 10, and 11
  • Mozilla FireFox 38 and 39

NOTE: Supported only on Windows-based operating systems.

Chrome will not work because Google they removed NPAPI support which is required by SIlverlight

Chromium Blog: The Final Countdown for NPAPI

4 Posts

July 9th, 2016 04:00

I can not get silverlight installed and therefore cant installed on server 2008 r2.  I have tried all the SL clean up tools and hacks but each time it says cant create file or directory but nothing is in the log and temp subdir has all rights and Im in as an admin.  Ant idea when SL requirement will go away?

Any way to force sl install?

387 Posts

July 13th, 2016 06:00

I have also just started having issues with Silverlight.

I was using Chrome for quite awhile actually so I know it DID work with Chrome before, but now all of a sudden it will not.

Firefox does not work, IE wants to install SL (even though it is already installed) and then fails installing because, surprise, it's already installed!

I have messed around with SL enough.  I guess I'll just have to go to the server to use the program now but I sure wish Dell would get rid of SL!!!!

Very frustrating!!!

387 Posts

July 13th, 2016 09:00

I had to uninstall SL, then open the OpenManage Essentials app and let it install SL and THEN it would work.  Wonder how long that will last?

116 Posts

July 13th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

understood your frustration. Sorry for what had happened with Silverlight.

One clarification, Are you seeing "Install Silverlight" prompt from IE (or) Getting pop-up like "New version of Silverlight is available. Do you want to update " ?

If you see "Install Silverlight", then please check whether the URL by which you are accessing OME is part of local intranet or trusted sites.

We have observed this issue if site is treated as internet where security settings are high.

Let us know if this helps.

387 Posts

Hello,

Once I install SL, I get no further prompts but it crashes IE.  Once I uninstalled SL and opened my OME interface on my desktop, I was prompted to install SL, which I did and OME proceeded to open and respond properly.  Once I close down OME and closed IE and then tried to re-open it, it crashed and that is all it does now, crash and go right back to the Certificate message prompting me to again choose Continue to this Website (not recommended).

OME is in my Trusted Sites and it has been in my Local Intranet sites as well.  Neither setting seems to help the situation.

Thank you

387 Posts

Not long.  Next time I opened IE, it crashed so now I will uninstall SL and go to the server to use OME.

July 13th, 2016 12:00

Hello all,

I would recommend to use the Silverlight version (5.1.41212.0) that is installed/bundled with OME and not the latest one which Microsoft would have published. OME 2.2 is certified to work with that version.

4 Posts

July 13th, 2016 16:00

What I found seems to work is to install the older 2.x version of SL and then try to unzip and install OME to a different subdirectory like c:\OME instead of letting it default to where it wants to go.

Then when it says the SL is too old, the upgrade seems to go ok.  If there is no SL on the system, it does not seem to be able to do a new install of the newer version.

387 Posts

December 6th, 2016 06:00

I just read over all of this post from when I originally created it.  Nothing has changed in my world and I read that Dell is going to get rid of the need for SL?  I certainly hope so!  It still is a problem in my environment and I can still only use OME from the OME server itself, not my desktop, not with any browsers, period.

Considering how long this has been an issue and how many have suffered from it, I hope Dell comes up with something sooner rather than later.

KBeau

December 6th, 2016 06:00

Hi KBeau,

OME 2.2 is certified to work with the following browsers both locally as well as remotely.

Supported browsers
• Microsoft Internet Explorer 9, 10, and 11
• Mozilla FireFox 38 and 39
NOTE: Supported only on Windows-based operating systems.

If you face any issues with these versions, please get in touch with Dell Support (800-945-3355) and they will be able to help you resolve this. 

Regarding your suggestion of removal of dependency on Silverlight, we will pass on this information to the concerned teams.

Thanks,
Vijay

387 Posts

December 6th, 2016 07:00

Thanks Vijay.

I am running OME version 2.2.0.2056 on Internet Explorer 11.

I cannot run Firefox versions that old, it is not allowed on our network because of security vulnerabilities.

So, I guess that leaves the issue with OME and IE/Silverlight.

No Events found!