Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 8th, 2014 11:00

Scam and possible dell data breach

I have a Dell laptop, and received a call today from someone claiming to be a Dell tech support agent. The person knew my name, email address, the make of my laptop, and the service tag number. They told me they had detected a virus and needed me to download a program to clean it up. The caller became very angry when I became suspicious and asked various questions. 

This was a scam, as I hung up on the caller and called Dell tech support directly. The very helpful Dell agent confirmed that no one had called me from Dell and scanned my computer to ensure I did not have any malware on my computer. 

Since my computer is secure, it seems that Dell may have experienced a data breach, with someone stealing the names and service tag numbers of people who recently purchased Dell computers. I don't know how they could have found my service tag number otherwise. 

3 Apprentice

• 

8.8K Posts

concerneddelluser123

There is a scam going around similar to this where they claim to be calling from Microsoft and give you the same schpeal.  But this guy knew your service tag number and that is a new one to me and bothersome.

Z..........

Exactly. I almost believed him since he had my service tag. My only guess is that someone stole past Dell tech support records or something like that.

7 Posts

July 9th, 2014 15:00

I had the same thing happen to me today. Some one called and give me

. They answer the phone as "Dell customer support.....". They also had tag for my old Dell laptop.

Called Dell to report the problem and they did not care. They wanted me to report to<ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU>.

It seems like Dell has no policy to deal with security breaches, fraud reporting etc.

1 Message

October 15th, 2015 18:00

I also received a call today, where the caller knew the ship date of my computer and service tag number.  I would say this confirms Dell was hacked.  

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

October 16th, 2015 08:00

I also received a call today, where the caller knew the ship date of my computer and service tag number.  I would say this confirms Dell was hacked.  

Hi Mike5990,

Thanks for posting on the Forum.

I apologize for the confusion.  We've created a post at the top of this board titled: How to report a phone scam to Dell.  Thanks. 

Regards,
Robert

No Events found!