Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

7 Posts

July 10th, 2020 22:00

An idea: Alienware 15 r2 + Alienware Graphics Amplifier. Oculus Rift S Compatible?

I have both the 15 r2 and the Oculus Rift S listed above, though i got the latter before realizing the 15 r2 didn't have the port necessary to accept the Rift S's Display Port wire. 

I'm certain this laptop otherwise has the specs to handle the Rift S, but without that proper port, no adapter dongle on the market can make the 15 r2 accept that Display Port wire properly, as far as i know. 

The closest i've managed to get is the idea of plugging the Display Port into a USB-C converter to plug it into the USB-C input on the right side of the laptop, however that didn't end up working, due to the USB-C not being hooked to the NVIDIA graphics card, and instead being wired to the CPU.

Using a Display Port to HDMI adapter unfortunately simply isn't an option, confirmed entirely by Oculus themselves to be an inevitable failure.

The idea i have, then, is to invest in a Graphics Amplifier to compensate for the missing port, using the new graphics card option to fill the void where the Display Port requirement was unfulfilled.  Is this a viable option? 

Could hooking up an Alienware Graphics Amplifier to my unaltered, retail-spec Alienware 15 r2 allow an Oculus Rift S, USB and Display Port wire and all, to connect properly to the 15 r2 as a whole, using the Amplifier as a middle-man of sorts?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

July 10th, 2020 22:00

@MiracleMonty  Yes, the setup you're considering will work, because in that setup you'll have your Rift S connected directly to a GPU that can run VR and has a native DisplayPort output (assuming you choose a GPU that fits those criteria, obviously).  But you're correct that you don't have a way to use a Rift S via any of the display output ports built into the system, for the reasons you stated.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

July 11th, 2020 07:00

Alienware 15 R2 and a 6700HQ at minimum will do VR just fine if you have a 1060 or higher graphics card with plenty of vram.

No Events found!