Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 17th, 2016 15:00

Will the 460W power supply be sufficient for the GTX 1070?

I just placed an order for an R5, with an i7, GTX 1070 and a 460W power supply. 

I did not go for the bigger power supply because I am not an enthusiast and have no plans of upgrading components.  If Dell's configuration page said 460 would work, I didn't see a need to upgrade the psu. I preferred using the extra $100 to get the 1070 video card rather than the 970.

Now, reading around the forums, I keep seeing comments that the recommended power supply for a GTX 1070 is 600 Watts (by guru3d.com).

I still have time to cancel the order as it's very recent.  Do I need to worry about this power supply?  How would I know if it's not sufficient during use?  Would the frame rates be low, or would the system's stability show signs?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 18th, 2016 13:00

Hi,

Yes, the 460W will work fine if is single. Check the image below and let me know if you need something else:

24 Posts

August 18th, 2016 22:00

Definitely don't buy it with the 460W supply if you still can. I purchased an i7 6700 (non-K) with a GTX 1080 a couple weeks ago. I had nothing but crashes and reboots.

Initially I thought that it would be a quality 460W supply, but it's not. Mine was not even 80+ bronze. I ended up replacing my power supply with an EVGA 650W supply and is running great since then, but this was a lot of hassle.

The other thing is that if you go with the 460W supply it comes with an air cooler. This case is not designed for an air cooler (the power supply occupies most of the volume near the CPU), it was really intended for a liquid cooler. Mine was spinning at high RPM so often and was so incredibly loud that it was comical for my wife and myself. I replaced the air cooler with a Corsair H60.

Here's a link to my post going over the changes I made to my R5.

en.community.dell.com/.../20931614

If you don't want to gut your PC when you get it, definitely try to swap out to the 850W supply and liquid cooler. I'm sure my system will perform just as well now that I swapped out the supply and cooler, but it wasn't the easiest case to work in and not worth the effort in my opinion when there is a $100 option available that should give you a quiet PC and stable PC (all the 850W supplies are at least 80+ Bronze, see Cass's post in the thread linked for tons of information).

27 Posts

August 19th, 2016 07:00

Hotarri, thanks for the reply.  

When the system had crashes and an incredibly loud fan noise, what did Dell's customer service say?  With a new system, it is their responsibility to ship you a machine that works without stability issues or excessive noise.  

There must be logs of system crashes so it's not something they can deny either.  What happened there? Why did you end up spending time and money to fix a brand new machine when it's under warranty and they send reps to your location to check it out?  Did they not try to satisfy you?

24 Posts

August 19th, 2016 17:00

I actually didn't discuss with Dell at all. I'm sure they would have been happy to try to help with at least the instability (not so sure about the noise since this seems normal for an small air cooler in a restrictive case). There were two things that really got me motivated to do it myself.

1. The EVGA 650 GS power supply I selected is significantly better than any of the supplies Dell would sell.

2. The cost was not significantly more than paying for the supply/liquid cooling upgrade up front.

The other question I asked myself, was whether I would ever consider building a system with an i7 and GTX 1080 with a $30 power supply even without the instability, the answer was clearly no.

While I think the components I have in there now are superior to the one's that are included in the 850W/Liquid cooling upgrade, they are not that much better to be worth the hassle (it probably took ~3 hours).

Hopefully they make the liquid cooler standard for this case (really a necessity) and at least use one of their better 460W supplies (there are multiple types of 460W supplies they could use, I got one of the worst ones. Some are better than others see Cass's first post in the thread I'd linked).

No Events found!