Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2014 06:00

Where can I find my window 7 ultimate 64 bit product key

I have an alienware m18x r2 laptop, I want to reinstall window 7 and I have found the disk in the alienware original box, but I can't find the product key? It said that the Microsoft operating system Certificate of Authenticity (COA) contain it? I don't seem to understand, I need help.

• 

2.7K Posts

September 18th, 2014 13:00

When you install windows using the original disk it shouldn’t ask for the product key. Are you getting any error message? 

86 Posts

September 21st, 2014 07:00

And I have still have 2 questions. First I saw on the software AlienRespawn it can restore my computer to the original factory state, that means it will back to the time when I got the computer from dell, right? Second, If i manually reinstall window using the window disk, then will the AlienRespawn still there on my computer and will it still be able to restore my computer to the original point?

You can use Alienware Respawn to restore to factory settings. You should however update it to the latest version which has many fixes and enhancements. See my videos here for details on using Dell Backup and Recovery (Alienware Respawn instructions will be identical):

You should also create a bootable USB which you can use to restore the PC to factory settings on a new hard drive or if there is problems with the partitions (requires the latest version to be installed before making the USB in order to get a more versatile bootable USB).

Regarding your second question, if you manually clean install Windows in conformance to these guides:

Alienware Respawn won't be installed and neither will the system drivers. My guides takes you through the install of Windows 7, Windows 7 Updates Offline and the system drivers. It then takes you through installation of Alienware respawn which will create new factory settings of a clean install and make a new recovery partition. My guides also explain the Windows 7 system locked preinstallation activation mechanism in more detail. If you are wanting to assess the clean install with a means of going to back to the factory install, make the recovery USB which will be your only means of going back to factory settings after a clean install.

11 Posts

September 20th, 2014 06:00

That means when I put the disk in and reinstall, it won't ask for CD Key because it's already include it? I haven't do it yet, but I ask first just for sure.

And I have still have 2 questions. First I saw on the software AlienRespawn it can restore my computer to the original factory state, that means it will back to the time when I got the computer from dell, right? Second, If i manually reinstall window using the window disk, then will the AlienRespawn still there on my computer and will it still be able to restore my computer to the original point?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

September 21st, 2014 01:00

I have an alienware m18x r2 laptop, I want to reinstall window 7 and I have found the disk in the alienware original box, but I can't find the product key? It said that the Microsoft operating system Certificate of Authenticity (COA) contain it? I don't seem to understand, I need help.

If you bought the machine new, the CoA sticker should be on there somewhere. If battery is removable, it might be under battery.
And yes, you should not have to enter the number during install if you install the original version of Dell-OEM Windows7-64bit.

11 Posts

September 22nd, 2014 06:00

I see. I think when the times is need I will just have to roll it back to the factory setting, if things don't go at plan, I will manually install window 7 and then the alienrespawn. Thanks

86 Posts

September 22nd, 2014 13:00

I see. I think when the times is need I will just have to roll it back to the factory setting, if things don't go at plan, I will manually install window 7 and then the alienrespawn. Thanks

Glad to help, let us know if you run into any issues with the factory restore.

No Events found!